got 70k USD, want to buy a bar, somewhere in South America

: Colombia - Cartagena - this place will be rocking in a few years... colombia es pasion

Very good :)
I was in Cartagena a few years back, exppensive and western, but yes I agree. When tourists start coming in serious numbers, Colombia will be great.
I read somewhere that Colombia gets less than 1 million tourists per year.
Thats going to go up, despite the global tourism slowdown.

Thanks for all the advice, its obvious that some of you have considered similar things, and know your stuff.
I'll keep you updated anyways.

cheers,

M

Good on ya mate. You certainly have more c*jones than I ever had. I'd love to have done something like that. Anyway, during my daydreaming I found a great website which will no doubt give you some good advice, maybe you've already come across it: http://www.hostelmanagement.com/forum/

I'm just trying to gather my courage during these scary times to head off for six months and hope to still have a job when I get back! Martin's reply was excellent. He speaks the truth.

What is your position about working or operating a buisness in one of these countries.You will need a legal work permit surely.
With access to 70k$ you are in a position to spend a year studying the possibilities.
You should consider a city or big town that is on the beach in my opinion.
Northern brazil would be where i would go ,for the weather and the lifestyle.
Hopefully you are not carrying your gold around with you,but if you are you can change them for cash in montevideo in uruguay.

And no, of course capital is invested, but easily accessible.
Thanks again all for replies.
Real opinions are great and hard to come by. :)

Wow , interesting thread.

I have just moved (6 month initially) to Buenos Aires. Had been in my mind for years and I had saved enough to make the plunge. What a city. I have lived in mainland europe, asia, australia...but this place is so different.

Opening a bar sounds cool. Keep us informed. PM me if you are looking for another investor...might be something i am interested in.

I am hoping to keep myself afloat by investing ( have been in the stock market and other investments for a couple of years ) until my spanish improves so that i can maybe do something else.

And to cap it all off...i met a beautiful local girl on my first night which i am now dating. Only in Argentina.....

So far ( only 2 weeks here ) i have rented an apartment in the embassy quarter (belgrano/las cañitas) and have can live quite well on about 1000 euros all in. One can feel like a king here.

You should also know that when you go to these places in central and south American your color will indicate to people that you are AMERICAN before your speech (etc) indicates that you are not; There is a lot of anger in central and south america towards Americans. I am sure that you are well able but I also know personally people who were well able...and things didnt go so well.

I'd be a bit more optimistic than that. Not all Americans are white/european looking plus there are lots of people in South America with European heritage. Theres quite a lot in Brasil and Argentina with Irish ancestry also. Plus if someone logically doesnt like some stereotype of America why should they become that stereotype themselves ? Like anywhere just dont do anything stupid and your chances improve.

: Colombia - Cartagena - this place will be rocking in a few years... colombia es pasion

Very good :)
I was in Cartagena a few years back, exppensive and western, but yes I agree. When tourists start coming in serious numbers, Colombia will be great.
I read somewhere that Colombia gets less than 1 million tourists per year.
Thats going to go up, despite the global tourism slowdown.

Thanks for all the advice, its obvious that some of you have considered similar things, and know your stuff.
I'll keep you updated anyways.

cheers,

M

What about the civil war and drug cartel problems they have in Columbia is any end in sight for that ?

Did you know that there is no Irish pub in Natal, Brazil? Interesting fact when you consider that the city is currently building what will be the fourth biggest airport in the world when it is completed (catering for all flights to South America for the new Airbus A380).

Unfortunately you'll get bugger all in Natal for €70k but it will be interesting to see how long it will take for an Irish pub to materialise.

What about the civil war and drug cartel problems they have in Columbia is any end in sight for that ?

Serious scare mongering here bull. Obviously not been?

lucky enough to spend 7 months travelling through all of south america and they are all lovely and friendly people throughout. Friendlier than ANY european country. there is only as much chance of encountering trouble as any city in europe.

the columbians are especially friendly as they appreciate the effort you make to come, and gorgeous people who know how to live. the only problem with their drug lords if confined to a very small area in the north east and no-body has any reason to be going there only if looking for trouble.

I will consider going back to live if all continues to go pear in europe and it will be on a bar/hostel front. Places i would recommend to look at:

Florinopolies - Brazil
BA - where you are at
Santiago - Just north of there is a town where the chileans go partying
If in santiago (cheap bus ride away), check out what oz guy did with "la casa roja" There is inspiration if needed.

But columbia would be top of the list followed by buenas Aires.

Serious scare mongering here bull. Obviously not been?

Not an attempt to scaremonger but I have heard some pretty horrific news stories from that country over the years. I'm just saying it is wise for the OP to walk into his new life calmly with his eyes open having investigated the risks etc .

Thanks for the advice, but as stated twice already I've been here a number of times over a number of years.
And no, really its actually fine.
Once you don't look or act like an obnoxious/silly gringo, expect no problems.
Even if you do, it will 99.9% usually be fine.

very interesting thread to me....

I am 36yrs old, owned a small business in the USA for 10yrs. I am over it though, I am a contractor....the lifestyle sucks. I have traveled a lot in CA and SA. I am working on saving cash right now, building up capital and then plan to sell my business and do the same thing as Suppleness. For the same reason too, I am over this rat race in the USA and ready to buy a lifestyle not just a piece of property, a home or a business.

I paticularly find the Cartagena part interesting snce I have been there several times. There is crime and corruption in Cartagena though, I was robbed there by the police. Lots of little run down places on the beach though that could be fixed up. It is already a hopping town and yes tourism is increasing a ton in Cartagena. Cartagena could go either way though....the reefs around the Rosario Islands off the coast which brings a lot of tourists are in very bad shape. The reefs may be gone completely before long, ie dead.

Any ways, I say go for it man! Chase your dreams and you will always love your life! Screw the rat race!!

PM sent.

PS: I been to Colombia 3x and only had a problem once, yea the police. It was our bad though....drinking on a closed beach at night. And maybe robbed isn't the best word...we bought get out of jail cards on the spot! I actually prefer this over the USA way which is go to jail! =)

Colombia is one of the best countries to travel to in SA, anybody who says otherwise has never been there!

Bogota has tons of business opportunities. And it is a great city with around 7million people. FYI, there is no tittie bar in Bogota....for about $100k you could open one! ;-)

I was in Buenos Aires and Montevideo in 2007 , great places but unfortunately I was mugged in both cities which left a very sour taste.

four years ago i travelled for 7 months around 8 countries in south america on my own. in places where there are tourists, and up mountains where there are none. (BTW total spend including flights and galapagos islands and everything - £4.3k - its cheap for anyone thinking of it)

I had nothing stolen from me, and no "bad stories" in fact, in Rio, a street kid (who is supposed to rob you???) actually pointed out that i was about to forget my camera on a bench. Good Lad. Nothern Brazil, there was an attempted pick-pocket during carnival - to be expected when you're one of the only tourists among 400,000 people, but it was harmless enough.

Friends of mine living in Dublin had more trouble than i had.

Otherwise, the people in every SA country i went are way more friendly than the people in ireland. genuine hospitality where stangers would invite you in for the night / introduce you to friends etc. I have missed it every single day since.

You will not make loads of money, but its a hell of a life. And its my back up plan if all this continues going tits up

do your thing boy, if your happy to plow 70k into a dream like that go for it. but i wouldnt do it by yourself, id get someone onboard, someone you can trust and has a good head for buisness.

I lived and worked in CA and SA for almost 4years, was based out of SP.
My absolute favourite place in the world would be Arrial D'Ajuda just south of Porto Seguro.
Plenty of nite light and always busy with tourists.
Take a week trip there and see if you like it.
Met plenty of people from europe who had set up pousada's and bars and were just enjoying life. Seem a very safe place also, but that was back in 2000 so may have changed, hopefull not i know it hasnt in my mind.
Will go back if Ireland qualify for the WC in 2014 would be a good excuse.
Best of luck. And go for it dont be put off by advise from people who have never spent time outside of ireland or a holiday resort, it aint anywhere near as bad as is written. Sure look at the Swiss girl who was murdered within hours of landing in Galway.

Back