Goodbye & Good Riddance Dylan Hartley

I agree that he's a thug and a scumbag but players from Ireland have done some nasty things as well so I wouldn't get too carried away, that's all.
There are plenty of fine English players, including their former captain who had been very critical of Hartley. The fact that he's English doesn't make him a thug and the manager who seems to encourage and support this sort of nasty arrogant behavior is Australian. So let's keep the thread about the scumbag and not tar every English player and supporter with the same brush.

this thread was started about the thug Hartley and his deliberate actions against The Tullow Tank. I cant remember who brought up Dooley, another thug. So I thought I may as well throw another who sprang to mind, into the mix. Do try and stay on topic.

Maybe Hartley deserves another chance..his 18th ?

Dirty English players, never !! Surely not, I cant fathom it, Really !! Tripe ? Not in a million years. Now thats laughable...

Please feel free to start another thread.

Go dti sin,
Slan.
Peader.

this thread was started about the thug Hartley and his deliberate actions against The Tullow Tank. I cant remember who brought up Dooley, another thug. So I thought I may as well throw another who sprang to mind, into the mix. Do try and stay on topic.

Dirty English players, never !! Surely not, I cant fathom it, Really !! Tripe ? Not in a million years. Now thats laughable...

Go dti sin,
Slan.
Peader.

Yet still no mention of any Irish thugs.
Sure they're as pure as the driven snow.
In my neck of the woods rugby supporters are even-handed and not prone to ranting.My Irish chums all agree - I canvassed their opinion from my barstool last night - that the punishment for Hartley's latest indiscretion was about right.
You see far worse watching the Super 14 most weekends.

Go dti sin,
Slan.
Peader.
He's a dirty player who is English. I don't think it's fair to imply that all English players are dirty or that English rugby is more tolerant of that sort of thing.

Imagine if Connacht had been beaten the way Wasps were last week. Do you think we would have been a gracious as Dai Young was?

Yet still no mention of any Irish thugs.
Sure they're as pure as the driven snow.
In my neck of the woods rugby supporters are even-handed and not prone to ranting.My Irish chums all agree - I canvassed their opinion from my barstool last night - that the punishment for Hartley's latest indiscretion was about right.
You see far worse watching the Super 14 most weekends.

because this is a thread about Hartley. As i said if you want to start another thread then go ahead

He's a dirty player who is English. I don't think it's fair to imply that all English players are dirty or that English rugby is more tolerant of that sort of thing.

Imagine if Connacht had been beaten the way Wasps were last week. Do you think we would have been a gracious as Dai Young was?

Hi Purple.

I was replying to the previous poster who had used the words dirty English players & strangely brought Dooley into to "support" their viewpoint. And I added another that came to mind. I didn't imply that all English players are dirty. I would ascertain that Ian Ritchie's comments on the jovial, fair playing, sportsman Hartley was a bit early for April Fools Day.

Incorrect. Read through my posts again.

You misunderstand me.I was referring to the poster I quoted.
It's quite clear from all your posts that you're one of those even-handed rugby followers I mentioned earlier.I've never argued against the fact that Hartley's disciplinary record is poor but to single him out as being the only culprit worthy of a lifetime ban as the OP did is nonsense.
Likewise the suggestion from another poster that England are somehow unique in having players who fall foul of the rules.
Rugby is a tribal enough game without soccer-style blind fandom coming into it.

its quite clear that at this stage you are unable for some reason to grasp that this thread was started about Hartley and then for you to bring in a former English player for what purpose again ? You are scraping the very bottom of the barrel here.

On more than 1 occasion, 2 posters have suggested you start a new thread.

I admire your honesty with it becoming embarrassing as you seem unable to comprehend a "simple online discussion"

I suggest you read the original post again - where the subject of violent play in rugby as a whole as well as Dylan Hartley is mentioned.
Other posters have mentioned other players and the discussion has ranged over other topics besides Hartley.That's generally why it's called a discussion forum.
I know you're late to the game here old sport but do try to keep up.

the thread title is called Goodbye & good riddance Dylan Hartley. I agree with Mathepac that he should be banned because of his complete disregard for rules, the welfare of other players etc. He hasn't reformed. End of.

Your 1st post claims that Rugby is a very forgiving sport...actually please dont explain. In this same post you then dragged another player into it, Alan Quinlan where clearly the title of the thread is not other rugby players . At this point you could have considered another thread but you chose not to stay on topic. Why not ? Actually dont bother, its beyond you clearly.

If Hartley does reform then I will take up playing the sport again. Good job I wont need to take to the field anytime soon.

For some unknown reason your grasp of the English language is very poor and yes you are the one that has dragged other players into it. Not staying on topic, me old china ;)

Should you wish to continue your approach as you have done to date, you will be edging closer to writing your own 500 lines "I must defend Hartley and implicate others and not stay on topic". Hope you practice this in a red and blue line copybook :D:D:D

Congratulations - you mentioned a player other than Dylan Hartley. You see,that wasn't so hard after all.
Fortunately Quinlan is honest enough to admit in print that he was dirty player always up for a scrap.True rugby people tend to be honest.Braying bandwaggoners who wouldn't know a scrum from a tea cosy tend to talk gibberish.

Come on guys , this claim that the thread should focus solely on Hartley is risible particularly as the opening post also references Courtney Lawes !
PyritePete in his opening post weighs in with Wade Dooley & Delon Armitage - by my reckoning that is 3 additional threads that should have been opened based on the argument raised by both Mathepac & PyritePete.
As an England fan I believe Wahaay is more than entitled to an amount of whataboutery by raising the violent play of Irish players including Sean O'Brien whose 1 game suspension for the off the ball punch on Pape was surely the most ludicrously light of all time.
By the way Wahaay as a soccer man myself I'm a little confused by your cross referencing Rugby & soccer blind fandom - could you elucidate ?

Come on guys , this claim that the thread should focus solely on Hartley is risible particularly as the opening post also references Courtney Lawes !
PyritePete in his opening post weighs in with Wade Dooley & Delon Armitage - by my reckoning that is 3 additional threads that should have been opened based on the argument raised by both Mathepac & PyritePete.
As an England fan I believe Wahaay is more than entitled to an amount of whataboutery by raising the violent play of Irish players including Sean O'Brien whose 1 game suspension for the off the ball punch on Pape was surely the most ludicrously light of all time.
By the way Wahaay as a soccer man myself I'm a little confused by your cross referencing Rugby & soccer blind fandom - could you elucidate ?

No i didn't weigh in with Wade Dooley- from the post #33 "In evidence I submit former police officer and now RFU citing officer Wade Dooley". Still laughable.

I'd love to but apparently there are posters with a short attention span who can only cope with discussion of Dylan Hartley.;)

Probably best , throwing soccer into the mix with Lawes , Dooley & Armitage is probably a step too far.

Actually it was considered only a mid-level offence and the more I look at the repeat the more I think Hartley mistimed his swinging arm which was intended for the falling O'Brien's back.

Apologies for quoting myself but it looks as though Eddie Jones agrees with my assessment and is standing by his skipper for the upcoming Six Nations,provided he maintains fitness.

" Dylan made a judgment error.He went to hit the bloke hard, he wanted to stop the ball, the player’s height changed and he had a loose arm. I see that as his first mistake, so there is no reason why that changes anything.”

www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2017/01/03/eddie-jones-backs-dylan-hartley-continue-england-captain-2017/

I see Jones subscribes to the collective amnesia that persists in English rugby circles.

Can I re-fresh their memories:
  • April 2007 - 26 week ban for eye-gouging - the targets of his dangerous violent conduct were James Haskell and Johnny O’Connor. Bizarrely he also got Man of the Match Award.
  • March 2012 - 8 week ban for biting Stephen Ferris. Hailed as future England captain by Graham Rowntree, presumably because he’d been guilty again of dangerous violent conduct
  • December 2012 - 2 week ban for throwing punches and elbows at Rory Best
  • May 2013 - 11 week ban for calling ref Wayne Barnes “a f***ing cheat”
  • December 2014 - banned again after elbowing Matt Smith in the nose and mouth
  • May 2015 - 4 week ban for head-butting Jamie George and dropped from Stuart Lancaster’s World Cup squad. Effusive apologies issued by Hitman Hartley as lucrative contract torn up. No firm resolve of “sinning no more” issued though.
  • December 2016 - 6 week ban for violent swing-arm ‘tackle’ (read elbow) at the back of Sean O’Brien’s head
He also faced internal disciplinary proceedings for the England squad’s off-field behaviour during the 2011 World Cup and has been yellow-carded :
  • against Georgia in 2011
  • South Africa in 2012
  • November 2014, for a horrendous stamp on Duane Vermuelan
Just the sort of thug you’d love to have representing you and leading your country.

Back