Getting rid of starlings

shnaek

Has anyone here got any tips as to how to discourage starlings from nesting in a roof? We have 3 nests of them at home and they are driving us demented. I love birds in general, but starlings are a very dislikeable sort of bird and I'd prefer be rid of them if I could.

We've the same problem; once the fledgelings are gone, I plan to get a can of expanding foam (of the type used for draughtproofing attics, etc.) and partially block up the points they're getting in at under the eaves. But if anyone has any other tips I'd be glad to hear them...!

I've heard that the same 'family' will return year after year, once they've found a good nesting spot — fact, or myth?

All songbirds in Ireland are protected species so please wait until the nest is empty.

Ah yes the old starling problem?!!

are you facsia boards/ gutters area white?

if so thats your problem! paint them black.... let me know how you get on

owenm said:
All songbirds in Ireland are protected species so please wait until the nest is empty.
Is a Starling a songbird? I don't think I've ever heard one singing.

They are actually dark brown! And aluminium, so I can't paint them.

owenm - I would be waiting until the nests are empty.

DrMoriarty -I may try that foam myself. I heard that about starling 'families' too - and they have been coming back to our place for several years now. Except this year they brought their friends!

My fascias (fasciæ?) and gutters are black, too...

And I think I would call them a 'screechbird', if anything... bloody racket they make! What bothers me more, though, is that their 'flight path' passes straight over the patio table, and every time they pop out for more grub for the chicks they deposit their own last meal all over the place!

I shudder to think what it must be like inside the roof cavity...:eek:

DONT DO IT ?!!!! until the season is over, please!

We have a problem in our bungalow with them and I [through research] have found that they are attracted to brighter 'finishes' - and so before I had black but the point at which they nested into the timber/ eve of house/ white concrete finish etc. was very white/ bright.

They did nip through the timber [black] - hope this is making sense -

Now we have PVC fascias they're back in their droves but building the nest on the concrete itself almost like a beehive - as they cant break through the PVC [unless they go to the hardware and geta wee little consaw?!!]

I'm sorry to inform you all but you may Shoot them there starlings, their not protected nor are Jackdaws,Magpies,Jays,Wood pigeons,Black back gulls,Herring gull,Grey crow,Rooks,Bullfinches and even your house sparrows and at set time of year (Winter) Pheasants and Ducks. Will I arange a cull?

i had this problem a few years ago and i got one of those helium filled ballons, they were shaped like a large parrot i let it hover about 30 feet above the ground, no more starlings or any birds at all since

No need to worry! At the present rate the island will be completely concreted and housed over very shortly and you won't be bothered by nature - birds, wasps, snails, voles, frogs, squirrels, leylandii or any other non-human living form. Water will be piped from the Sahara at enormous expense and there will be an undersea cable carrying fresh-air which will also 'cost the earth'. Hmmmm........wonder where the focus of aggression and intolerance will shift then?

^ Have a bit of faith in nature! - the property crash of 2008 will make sure the land isn't fully concreted over and the wildlife will return once Sellafield melts down.

i have a nest of them at the moment in a shed.
there not too bad.
i think this is their 3rd year.
quite enjoy them they're not doing any harm.
they can stay.
but the ants,they keep biting they will
have to go.i gave them a chance, they keep attacking when
i go into the garden.

It might do you no harm ClubMan to remember that not everyone is as literate or computer literate as you. Mocking people about their writing style, even in a nice jokey way, is not particularly fair!

Sorry for giving out - bug bear of mine.

Oh, and leave the poor birds alone. I used to watch my grandfather knocking down nests, and I was always in floods at the thoughts of the poor birds!! Mind, I don't have any yet in Lucan... I'm sure given the rest of our disasters, they won't be far away!!!! :)

I was't mocking. I actually enjoyed reading it even if it was not deliberately written in poem form. Sometimes art happens by accident.

clubman

you should have written one [a poem] about the cuckoo who lived in the clock and said nothing?!!!!

Back