Getting mortgage approval with foreign transfer on my bank statement

davebr

Coming up to end of my probation at work in mid November, and keen to get started with mortgage AOP and house hunting.

In June my better half transferred me €8k, and I transferred €7.5k of that to England to clear a credit card balance there. So the 8k will be on both our statements for that month, and then I have a transferwise payment for the 7.5. I have since closed all my UK accounts, and all my spending since then has been within Ireland and very ordinary.

It would be a joint mortgage, the deposit savings are all from her side, and she's fully aware of what I did with the money. Yes mam, I know this one's a keeper.

How much hassle is this likely to be when getting a mortgage approval in Nov, and will lenders here be looking for any documents from my UK accounts? If the statement period is 6 months and nobody asks further back than that, I'm tempted to just wait into the new year and not mention it at all, since the 6 months would be from July in that case. But on the other hand that's 6 weeks more of twiddling our thumbs and paying rent. Thoughts?

In my recent experience lenders are a bit anal when it comes to foreign earnings. You'll probably get approval no problem but when it comes to actaul draw down they'll look for credit ratings from other countries you've lived in (translated into english if they happen not to be Anglophone) and translated bank statements of those accounts. Best of luck as you'll be dealing with slow, more than my job's worth type of clerics. Logic is never part of the equation as they have a checklist to tick off.

In my recent experience lenders are a bit anal when it comes to foreign earnings. You'll probably get approval no problem but when it comes to actaul draw down they'll look for credit ratings from other countries you've lived in (translated into english if they happen not to be Anglophone) and translated bank statements of those accounts. Best of luck as you'll be dealing with slow, more than my job's worth type of clerics.
That's what I was concerned about. Would waiting out the 6 months since I did this, so there would be nothing on my Irish statements to show a connection to another country, mean I could avoid all the above? Or do they ask for years worth of documents at drawdown?

If we could get approval in Nov but only have to show the 6 months most recent statements as of the drawdown date next year, I think that would solve my problem without losing any time. Too good to be true?

That's what I was concerned about. Would waiting out the 6 months since I did this, so there would be nothing on my Irish statements to show a connection to another country, mean I could avoid all the above? Or do they ask for years worth of documents at drawdown?

If we could get approval in Nov but only have to show the 6 months most recent statements as of the drawdown date next year, I think that would solve my problem without losing any time. Too good to be true?
In my case even though I have been back living in the country for over 20 years they still wanted a credit rating from the country I lived in 21+ years ago possibly because I still had an online share trading account based in that country. Drawing down the mortgage was a nightmare despite having a very good wage and an excellent credit history. I dealt with load of "jobs worth" individuals who dont care about common sense. Also my mortgage provider was very slow in reviewing documentation I provided and each time came back with further new clarifications required. Took me over 4 months to go from mortgage approved and offer accepted to contracts signed and mortgage draw down due mainly to bank burocracy. The property vendor nearly withdrew from the sale agreed due to the delay which was outside of my control.

Too good to be true?
Maybe.

If lenders get any indication that you lived in UK, they will most likely ask for a credit record from the country you lived in.
AIB/EBS/Haven and Avant definitely will.

Back