General Practice Doctors

trojan

wondering how difficult it is for a fully qualified General Practice doctor to obtain a position in Ireland. I assume main areas of employment would be in group practice centres and as there appears to be a major reduction in income from medical card holders I suspect obtaining a position might be difficult. Kindly comment if I am wrong in my assessment.

have you tried any of the recruitment sites to understand what it out there? Friend of mine is in a similar position, there seems to be a fair few locum roles but permanent is far more difficult.

You can work as a locum and then set up your own practice. There are plenty of GP's with no GMS list, just private patients. Even without a GMS list you will get prenatal payments and lots of other revenue streams from the HSE.

You can work as a locum and then set up your own practice. There are plenty of GP's with no GMS list, just private patients. Even without a GMS list you will get prenatal payments and lots of other revenue streams from the HSE.
I was under impression that you had to have 2 years in general practice before you could work as a locum

I was under impression that you had to have 2 years in general practice before you could work as a locum
I was not aware of that. It certainly was not the case in the past but the IMO or ICGP should be able to clarify. Your insurance will also be able to tell you.

Back