Gardener

gauloise

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how much I should expect to pay a gardener to upkeep lawns, etc.. on a weekly basis. The gardens are quite big, 2 to the front either side of drive, and 2 to the rear, one behind the other. Overall I would say about 1/3 acre in total. I did try one local gardener but he came out, looked at the gardens and said he would get back to me..that was 3 months ago! Also if anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful..location Dunboyne/Maynooth.

Why don't you do the job once yourself so that you have some idea of how long it takes. You could then offer a price based on that time and whatever hourly rate you think reasonable.

You could do, but I dont think, that would work with a tradesman, they have to cover their fuel, paper work, ink etc, time to pay an accountant, wear n tear on vehicle, etc, I can go on, but I wont, if your talking lawns, hedges, best to look for a large outfit, that does regular garden maintenance. Hard landscapers, dont usually look at that type of work, unless they are in need of work, as you need lots of regular customers, and thats mainly summer time, which anyone can get on the band wagon doing, you dont need to be skilled to mow lawns or cut hedges.

I've been told it's about €25 an hour. You could contact a horticulture college and get a student to do it.

The chislers used to torment my 83-year-old mother knocking on her door in West Dublin offering to "cut the grass (about 1/3 acre) for ten euros". There was no need as I did it regularly on my visits from UK but.......get a local kid. The enterprising ones will charge more if they bring their own equipment.

Back