Garden Security.

IsleOfMan

Anyone know of a device that I can get that will activate a bell in my house when someone enters my garden/driveway, infra red sort of thing. Both my neighbour and myself have had unwelcome visitors prowling around cars/windows in recent weeks.

You could just hook up a 12volt PIR Detector to a buzzer or beeper. I have Opal XL detectors on our boundaries hooked up to zoned security lighting. If the lights are triggered, a beeper sounds for 2 seconds.

Unlike other PIR Detectors I've used before, these detectors don't produced any false readings and have a very long detection range.

Anyway, hope that helps

Podge

Podge: I'm very interested in what you have. Did you install these yourself or get somebody to do it for you?
IsleofMan: If you are looking for a quick solution, B&Q have a product (wireless I think) that sounds a buzzer inside if a beam is broken outside.

One that activated a sound recording of a large dog growling and a shotgun being loaded (from hidden speakers in the bushes) would be even better...! ;)

Hansov,
I have six halogen lamps (2 on the front, 2 on the back, 1 on each gable), hooked up to a two zone controller (an Emerald Mk3 - see it [broken link removed]). I replaced all the bulbs from the 500w standard down to 300w. Separate to the lamps, I have eight PIR detectors dotted around (all running 12 volts). If any of the PIRs detect movement, then the lights for the appropriate zone are activated - also on the lighting controller, it tells you which PIR triggered the lights. Finally, the house alarm is linked to the lighting controller, so if the alarm goes off, both zones are triggered as well, so the burglar can see what he's doing. One handy thing with the system is, if I have the beeper turned on, on the controller, then regardless of day/night it beeps if someone comes in our driveway.
Hope this helps (BTW installed it myself relatively straightforward).
Podge.

Ive got a basic box inside my front windows which has infrared detection and a setting for range and volume. It is a recording of an alsation dog and has fooled even the esb meter reader and postman! The dog gets increasings agitated as you come up the drive way ( in my case around 10 metres). Since ive started using it about 1o years ago ive not had a single breakin attempt or car tamper incident. Cant remember where I got it, but I think you can get these in Maplin off capel st?
The beauty of this is that no external lights are any external devices needed. Many times the 'dog' barks and 'callers' decide not to come in the driveway!

"I must get one of those before election time comes around again!"

Doc,

Surely that nice picture of yourself that you treat us to every now and again would have the necessary frighten them away from the door effect. ;)

P.S. No we don't want to see it again.

Runner that sounds interesting. If I can get a device that I can fit inside the house but detects people entering the driveway and emits some sort of signal to alert me sounds ideal. If there was a name on the device I might be able to search for it on the web?

Thanks Podge. When you say..."I have eight PIR detectors dotted around (all running 12 volts)" what do you power these with? Are you running a 12V cable all around your garden? Thanks again - I am very interested in your set-up which I "may" be replicating! Of course credit (not commission :D )will be given to you for your advice.

Hansov
The lighting controller pumps out 12volts that is used to power each of the PIRs. So yes, I have 12 volt cabling running from the controller to each of the detectors. Likewise, on a different circuit from the controller, the 240volts for the lamps is controlled. The wiring diagram for the controller is [broken link removed] - you should be able to see what I am saying from it.
Best of luck
Podge

Back