Garden renovation, management company and refusal query

alexandra123

Hello,

I am currently in the process of doing my garden up. I want to put a glass sunroom in the garden and attach it to the back wall of the apartment, not the back wall of the garden.

I contacted the person responsible for maintaining the estate and asked what I need to do to get approval - or if one was needed. He more or less came back and said that it would not be approved because I do not own the external wall and the company owners wont allow anything attached to the walls. They also don't want one person getting something done and then an influx of new requests.

I am just wondering - Are the management company owners that strict ?
I only need to put 4 holes in the wall for the sunroom to be attached. This adds to the home rather than takes from it.
If they come back and do say no - will I get a reasonable answer as to the rejection ?
Can I appeal it ?
If I was to look into it further - would all these rules and who owns what be somewhere that I could request and what would I be asking for ?

Their is other owners with stuff attached to the wall, but I don't want to attach mine and then have to take it down as it is too expensive. Also what other people have hooked into the walls is for satellite dishes etc.

Below is what I want to get or something similar to it !!

Attachments

• 22.png
    22.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
What does it say in legal documents supplied when you purchased property?

That would look grand for a house, don't know about an apartment though especially it being part of a block.

Who owns the land/ground where the actual sun room would be sited/sitting?
I'm no expert but I thought the area outside an apartment building would be a communal/management company area?

I dont know who owns it. I am not sure if the garden is leased or owned by me. Does it make a difference if it is leased to me ? If the area outside the building was communal- then everyone has right of access which they dont. It would also mean that they should be cutting my grass which they dont.

I will see if I can check with the original solicitor who has my documents.

If you don't know who owns it then it's probably not you.
If you don't own it then you probably don't have the right to put anything semi-permanent or permanent on it.

A lot of probablys there, I know.
You could always just proceed and see what happens. The worst that could happen is you have to take it all down.

OP I'd imagine that you have a long term lease of the apartment and the garden area which you consider yours.

The issue you have as with most apartment buildings is that the management company can control what you do to the walls as this will have an impact on the building above yours. In some cases the management company may not allow anything to be attached to the exterior of the building as a policy.

Trying to figure out your set up here. Do you have the ground floor of a duplex?

You could always just proceed and see what happens. The worst that could happen is you have to take it all down.
I disagree. The worst that could happen is that there could be a demand to return the exterior wall to it's pre-installation state, which could cost thousands.

Back