Garage, Mechanic, Servicing, South Dublin City

T

Timbers

I wanted to start a new thread where people could list the good, bad and ugly in terms of garages for car servicing in the South Dublin City area. Here’s my story of one place to be careful with in terms of Cost.
Got my car back today following a Service in Rathgar Motors, 42a Rathgar Ave, Dublin 6. I drive a 10 year old Audi A6. So far car running fine. However, they tried to seriously overcharge me and it took some haggling to get the owner down on price which I still think was too much. I left the car in for a service knowing it needed new front brake pads. I rang around a few garages beforehand and got quotes from e200-e350. I went with Rathgar Motors who quoted e230 as they had done work on the car once before. Got a call from the Mechanic at lunchtime to say it needed a few more things fixing which according to him would cost about an extra e150. I agreed to most things but said no to replacing a tire as I knew garages overcharge for that. When I came to collect the car I was given a bill for just under e600! So much for the mechanic's promise to keep the price down. Turns out the owner prices the jobs and not the mechanic. Spent a while haggling and got him down to e480 which he agreed to accept so long as I didnt pay by credit card as he would incur extra charges for this! Knowing what was fixed this was still overcharging me but in his words that was it or he would have to bring the car back into the garage and take the parts off. What a rip off!

Back