Fuel Economy

I

Irldigi

Hi all,

Looking for some real comparisions here.

How many miles do you get for say €20 petrol on a 1.8 litre car ?

Also, what type of things can be done to improve fuel economy ?

Thanks,

more miles

If you have a sunroof - close it
Keep your windows closed
Check your tyre pressure to make sure its not too high or low.
Only use air conditioning if necessary
Most people have too much junk in the car - empty the boot.
Keep the car reasonably clean
Don't speed on the motorway.

All of the above will make a measureable difference to the fuel performance of a vehicle

The best way to determine your mileage is fill the car and measure after a week - dividing between urban and extra urban driving. Look at your manual and check your fuel tank size - your car probably has a 40 litre tank - it's a good thing to know.

A few years ago I stopped "putting 20 euro in" and started "putting 20 litres in". We don't say - "can I have 5 euro worth of beer or 2 euro worth of bread", so we shouldn't do it with fuel.

Fuel Saving

1 Think before you start the journey - is it necessary?
2 With garages everywhere you can keep your tank at a max of half full - this keeps the weight and evaporation down in the summer.
3 Keep your lights to a minimun when stopped
4 I have memories of my first car - I would always lift the fuel pipe in the garage to make sure it was empty after a fill.
5 Reverse your car into the driveway at night when the engine is warm so you don't have cold start reversing in the morning.
6 Shop around for cheap petrol.

Re: Fuel Saving

All good comments but I'm looking to benchmark ....

Approx how many miles do you get on €20 ?

Cheers

This probably isn't any use but on my 1.6litre engine I get about 305 miles for €33. Will be less in the summer as I'll have the top down.

I usually get between 380 and 400 miles for €40 worth of petrol in my 1.4 Peugeot 206

Try this www.whatcar.com choose car and follow links to specification, then ownership data there you will see urban, extra urban and combined mpg

But I would have to say your question is about as logical as asking how much fuel does a blue car use. There are loads of factors influencing the fuel economy of a vehicle

is it a petrol or diesel?
Is it an SUV?
Is it auto or manual?
Is it old or new?
What colour is it? :>

As well as all the other factors mentioned in the

"4 I have memories of my first car - I would always lift the fuel pipe in the garage to make sure it was empty after a fill."

That's a "male thing" isn't it?

I recall reading somewhere that the heater/demister on the back window can hit fuel economy by 10% - so only use when necessary

I recall reading somewhere that the heater/demister on the back window can hit fuel economy by 10% - so only use when necessary

Is that true???

Is there anywhere I could get a list of what will hit fuel economy and not just hearsay (btw soy I am not questioning your integrity, its just that I have heard far too many things that people assume are true just because it has been repeated numerous times e.g. a ducks quack does not echo!! Yes it does)

Car Fuel Economy

Firstly

If something uses power, ultimately it will use fuel in your car (whether an active device like air conditioning, or an element that increases drag in the car - e.g. open windows). The following are two sites I found useful in the past:

www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml

and

[broken link removed]

demister effect

apologies cullenswood - I was just going off a vague memory with the 10% figure. The true figure is 3-5%

[broken link removed]

Re: Fuel Ecomony

The biggest problem with fuel ecomony is the large piece of matter behind the wheel and their driving style!

Also, Air-con drinks fuel, so keep it off unless you really need it.

I don't think comparing the number of miles per € is a good comparison - sure the number of litres used gives a more accurate picture. Someone in Cork could buy a lot more litres for €40 than someone in Monaghan for example. Personally I get roughly 10 miles per litre but it depends very much on the journey as obviously driving in cities/towns is much more thirsty work than out on the open road!

I think the real comparison is how much does it cost to run the car on a yearly basis, not just how much is the fuel. "What car" do have a figure that works this out based on the recommended service interval and the relative costs of spares per brand. The other decision driver is resale value. These are the hidden costs of motoring and have swayed me in my choice of car.

BTW I decided not to go with Saubaru on the basis of service costs and resale value

I recently bought a car with dual fuel (petrol/gas) and found it cheaper to run, actual mpg the same, about 30mpg but taking into consideration the cheaper price per litre works out slightly more economical.
Though one drawback there are only a limited number of garages selling lpg (maxol being one).
If you really want economy, diesel is the road to go down ask any Taxi driver.

Lemurz said:
Also, Air-con drinks fuel, so keep it off unless you really need it.

A few years ago sun roofs were the norm. Seems that these dont happen anymore & you are expected to rely on Air CON in the summer.

What a Con

Back