Food/Coffee Van on Private Land? Planning Permission?

tmd1992

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knew if pitching a mobile food or coffee van on private land is acceptable or if planning application is required. The land is a commercial amenity with granted small food shop onsite at the moment.

Would be grateful if anyone had any insight into this?

Planning is required.

Google is your friend

Planning is required.

Google is your friend
That's different from what the OP is asking I think.

If there's already a grant of permission for a food shop, then planning is unlikely to be required.

An example might be a sports ground or in the carpark of a retail store especially if you can show it is ancillary to the main use of the land.

There was a case many years ago about a garden centre opening a cafe and the council said it required planning. It went to a court hearing and the garden centre won the case.

But putting it on public land without permission or planning is not permitted.

That's different from what the OP is asking I think.

If there's already a grant of permission for a food shop, then planning is unlikely to be required.

An example might be a sports ground or in the carpark of a retail store especially if you can show it is ancillary to the main use of the land.

There was a case many years ago about a garden centre opening a cafe and the council said it required planning. It went to a court hearing and the garden centre won the case.

But putting it on public land without permission or planning is not permitted.
Possibly so. I thought the OP meant that there was a shop onsite which had the benefit of planning permission, but that this food truck would be a separate thing. In the case you mentioned, I think the cafe was within, and covered by (as being 'incidental to') the existing permission

Thanks everyone for the input.
That's it, Peemac. It is believed the mobile unit was ancillary to the business which operates there on private land. I personally know lots of GAA clubs with mobile units operating full time on them and they don't appear to have an associated planning application. Not sure if you would have come across any?
It's an interesting one seeing as there are so many of this units around and popping up lately!

Thanks everyone for the input.
That's it, Peemac. It is believed the mobile unit was ancillary to the business which operates there on private land. I personally know lots of GAA clubs with mobile units operating full time on them and they don't appear to have an associated planning application. Not sure if you would have come across any?
It's an interesting one seeing as there are so many of this units around and popping up lately!
No issue if it's ancillary to the main use and complimentary. Hence you see them on many sports grounds and even in retail parks.

Back