Flying Lessons

• Thread starter Prometheus2
  • Start date
P

Prometheus2

Has anyone here taken flying lessons before. Im thinking about getting a voucher for someone for Christmas. Prices I've seen so far range from about €75-95 for 1/2hr.

Two questions really.
1. Does anyone know which flying school gives the best value for lessons.

2. Im thinking of getting a voucher for 1hr. Would this be enough time to get a good idea of what you're doing ??

One more thing. It really has to be a Dublin based school.

A flight in a small plane will consist of take-off, flyabout, and landing. The take off and circling and landing elements will take a nice chunk out of a half hour session. I purchased a gift voucher last xmas (1 hour flight lesson), and due to technical difficulties with another aircraft the flight was reduced to 30 min. The flight was good (they can take the "student" plus one guest), but 60 minutes would have left more time to get used to controls and maneuvering etc. My advice is:
1. Get a 1 hour session
2. Ask them if after 30 minutes the student can land and keep 30 minutes for another time.
3. There's a place out in Baldonnell that's supposed to be very good, I don't have the link.
4. Find out if the student can take a friend along.

You could give this crowd a ring. The link is for the airport itself but I am sure they could put you on to the schools which operate out of there. The airport is locate between lucan and celbridge just off the N4.

westonairport.com/

60 mins would be good, but 30-45 mins is enough to figure out if you like it.

The instructor will take of and land, and will allow you to drive when the plane is in the air (this involves left, right, up and down), nothing too complicated.

It's cheaper down the country, but nothing wrong with the prices you've quoted.

If you like it and expect to do it more seriously expect to pay about 100 per hour, you'll need about 50 hours to get a licence, but you can do it at your own pace.

You'll also need to study for and sit exams, but worry about that later.

Defintiely have a go though, it's fantastic.

-Rd

Alternatively, Mike O'Leary will let you have a go at flying a Boeing 737 for 50 quid. Its his new cost saving measure...the pilots pay HIM. :lol

But you dont get an instructor unless you pay the provision of instructor charge !!!!

You can have an instruction manual for an extra tenner.

a tenner plus the relevant government taxes
dont forget your life vest levy too

and it wont be paid to the government either. Mabye we could call the other low fares airline we have ? May get a better deal with competition and all that. Trans-Atlantic lessons could be a real crowd pleaser !

we bought four of these lessons for weston last for our eldest 4
Half an hour is plenty of time they all enjoyed it very much and still talk say it was memorable and enjoyable.
A normal flying lesson lasts about 20 minutes This is an introductory flight you can purchase a log book and have this time entered in it, after 15 hours you may fly your first solo assuming you have your provisional lience and made sufficient progress. and after 40 hours you can apply for your full licence.
The reason I say this is when I first tried to go for flying lessons I was told the charge per hour and it was not really affordable but some years later I learned the length of a lesson was not a hour and I could indeed have afforded to fly.
I did fly later and it was very very good.
How about you get one flight for your friend and one for yourself?

Tharggy can't discuss Ryan with you as I've run out of Ventolin but can recommend Weston to prometheus2

Back