Laya Flex 175 Explore

greentea

thinking of taking out 1st healthcare policy to cover myself aged 46 and two kids aged 12 and 10. Partner isn't going to bother and will pay as he goes.

I spotted Laya Flex 175 Explore which comes in at about 97 euro per month according to the HIA site.

I'm in Cork so would like cover in all the local hospitals and this seems to have that (a lot of the plans don't cover the Bons Secours)

is this a fairly decent plan - anything I need to look out for in particular with it? any other reasonable alternatives?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

The plan Laya Flex 175 Explore is a good hospital plan covering all 3 levels of hospital cover (public, private and hi-tech).
The main plus with this plan is the reasonable hospital excess 175 for inpatient admissions to private hospitals, also the lower
day case excess of 75 is a big plus. A lot of procedures now are carried out as a day case.

Regarding the two children, Laya have a good offer at the moment where you just pay for one child and the rest go free.
There are 7 plans to choose from with this offer, the best options as follows;

1. Laya Flex 125 Explore; child price; 246pa; good hospital cover, 125excess inpatient + daycase(private hospital), no outpatient cover.
2. Laya Flex 175 Explore; child price; 274pa; good hospital cover, 175excess inpatient + 75daycase(private hospital), no outpatient cover.
Hospital cover is the same, only difference relates to the excess amounts.

[broken link removed]

3. Laya Flex 125 Plus; child price; 299pa; good hospital cover, 125excess inpatient + daycase(private hospital) some outpatient cover.
4. Laya Flex 125 Choice; child price 373pa; good hospital cover, 125excess inpatient + daycase(private hospital)good outpatient cover.
These 2 plans include outpatient cover.

[broken link removed]

As an extra tip if signing up with laya on the phone tonight to avoid the % loading, another poster 'leanbh' mentioned to the agent that there was no facility online to put children on a different plan, so she couldn't avail of the 10% discount if you join online. She was given the 10% discount over the phone there and then. It may be worth a mention.

Regards, Snowyb

thanks SnowyB - I signed up to another laya plan just now but I will study these in more detail when I get home tonight - i have the 14 days cooling off so presumably I can switch plans in that time if I want to. I really need to think a bit more about it I feel rushed by the deadline. Thanks very much for the detailed advice above

Once you're signed up, you avoid the loading and you can think about it for the next 14 days, in your own time. You did the right thing to sign up anyway.

Laya phone lines are open until 10pm tonight in case anyone else is in a panic or under pressure.
I'm sure the other providers are also working extra hours tonight ahead of the deadline at midnight tonight.
There's always the option to sign up online also.

Regards, Snowyb

thanks SnowyB - I signed up to another laya plan just now but I will study these in more detail when I get home tonight - i have the 14 days cooling off so presumably I can switch plans in that time if I want to. I really need to think a bit more about it I feel rushed by the deadline. Thanks very much for the detailed advice above

You can switch within 14 days but as was mentioned to me by an agent, when I asked,some/most, if not all plans, are increasing in price from tomorrow, so you may be caught that way. Sorry. It was something I was also thinking of until I asked an agent and he said, yep, they are increasing tomorrow, seemingly across all insurers. Please do not take it as gospel though, he may have been wrong, or I may have misinterpreted.

You can switch within 14 days but as was mentioned to me by an agent, when I asked,some/most, if not all plans, are increasing in price from tomorrow, so you may be caught that way. Sorry. It was something I was also thinking of until I asked an agent and he said, yep, they are increasing tomorrow, seemingly across all insurers. Please do not take it as gospel though, he may have been wrong, or I may have misinterpreted.

As far as I know Laya are taking calls till midnight

They are also offering the online discount to all phoned in policies

oh dear - I had to go out last night so couldn't do anything further - annoying that the plans may be changing in price today - I will try calling Laya later and if not stick with what I have got - I signed up for a flex 500 and put my other half on too. If he is sure he doesn't want it I was going to drop him off entirely and put me and the kids onto a lower excess policy...

thanks everyone

The plans you are concerned with are not going up in price., so you can relax and take your time deciding what you want.
There's a whole new pricing structure for students coming into effect from today, the standard adult prices are not affected. The student prices are the price changes going up.
By signing up yesterday, you avoid the loading so you,re fine.

Back