Fis, One Parent After Getting Part Time

F

fairytale

Hi,

I Was In Full Time Job When I Asked For The Child Benefit And The Family Income Supplement. I Requested To Get A Part Time To Have More Time With My Son. I Saw After A While In The Leaflet That They Didnt Change The Fis For 52 Weeks Even If Ur Salary Increase Or Decrease. In July Thas The End Of The 52 Weeks, So Now I Am In Part Time And I Should Ne Entitled For The One Parent Revenue, Fis And Child Benefit... Somebody Could Help Me In Knowing If They Are Not Going To Ask Me To Go Back In Full Time And Refuse Me The One Parent Income ? Many Thanks. I Have A Salary Of 850euro A Month, Do You Know If I Gonna Cumulate One Parent And Fis And How Much I Should Be Entitled For?
Many Thanks For All Ur Answers....it Can Help Somebodyelse Too!

Fairytale

Just a few questions so that you question can be answered.

1. Is your monthly salary of €850 gross (before Tax, PRSI etc.) or net (after Tax, PRSI, etc)? One-Parent family is worked out on gross income while Family Income Supplement (FIS) is calculated on your net income.

2. Do you get maintenance from the other parent of your child? This may also be taken into account for both payments. Although maintenance payments by way of a court order are not assessable for FIS.

Assuming the figure of €850 pm is a net figure and that you don't get maintenance for your son - this is what you can hope to get assuming you satisfy the other conditions.

Your weekly income is €196.15 (850 x 12 / 52)

First of all your One-Parent Family Payment (OFP) is calculated. €196.15 - €146.50 = €49.65. This is divided by two to give weekly means of €24.82. This would give you a weekly OFP of €190.30

The FIS calculation is done by adding your income (€196.15) and OFP €190.30 giving €381.45. The amount of FIS that you would get is determined by taking this total from the family income limit for 1 child (€480) and getting 60% of the difference.

€480.00 minus €381.45 equals €98.55. 60% of €98.55 equals €59.13 which would be rounded up to €60. So your total weekly income would be €441.45.

I know I'm making several assumptions ( so don't bite me) but I just wanted to show how the calculations are done. You should apply for the OFP now and not wait until July.

Here are some useful links
http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw82.html#5
http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw19/sw19_sect3.html#3.7
http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw19/sw19_sect7.html#7.1

Hope this helps

I may be wrong but while FIS income should stay the same even if your income goes up or down, it ceases if you fail to satisfy the conditions. therefore if you are now working less than 19 hours a week you may not qualify.

I may be wrong but while FIS income should stay the same even if your income goes up or down, it ceases if you fail to satisfy the conditions. therefore if you are now working less than 19 hours a week you may not qualify.

I think the OP is saying that they reduced hours in order to qualify for FIS?? Not clear though.

Back