Health Insurance First Time PHI. If We Move During Cooling Off Period, Do We Still Beat Age Loading?

marty_mcfly

Hello, just a quick question , we're adult students, we have medical cards but to avoid age loading are now essentially being forced into taking out private health insurance. We already have a super low cost HSF plan which has been handy from time to time. Huh, maybe we'd be better off just upgrading to a better HSF plan? Anyway, at the moment, and we have left it a little late, we're trying to decide between Laya Assure Vitality and Aviva Select Starter.

My question is: what happens if we sign up for one or the other and within the 2 week so-called cooling off period decide to leave and move to another provider, have we still avoided the age loading when we sign up with the other provider in May, having been with a different provider, albeit for less than 2 weeks, pre-May 1st? It may not happen but if it did? Thanks.

Edit: Is it true that in public hospitals whether you're a public or private patient it makes no difference, you'd be on the same long waiting list to see a consultant, get tests or an operation etc? Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi marty_mcfly,

You have to sign up tomorrow on some plan to avoid the loading. Once you've signed up, you have 14 days to change your mind and
no loading would apply if you change, as the new plan would be back-dated to the 30th April 2015.

Its true that the waiting list for surgery in public hospitals is the same for public and private patients. Health insurance public only plans
fully cover certain scans and partially cover others which would avoid waiting lists for tests. The fine details would have to be queried with each provider regarding cover for tests. It is standard practice with health insurance that you pay to see the consultant privately and
claim back a partial refund according to the outpatient cover on your plan. The public only health plans would have very limited cover for this, practically non existent. Maybe the HSF plan may offer cover for consultants visits.

Snowyb

Hi marty_mcfly,

You have to sign up tomorrow on some plan to avoid the loading. Once you've signed up, you have 14 days to change your mind and
no loading would apply if you change, as the new plan would be back-dated to the 30th April 2015.

Its true that the waiting list for surgery in public hospitals is the same for public and private patients. Health insurance public only plans
fully cover certain scans and partially cover others which would avoid waiting lists for tests. The fine details would have to be queried with each provider regarding cover for tests. It is standard practice with health insurance that you pay to see the consultant privately and
claim back a partial refund according to the outpatient cover on your plan. The public only health plans would have very limited cover for this, practically non existent. Maybe the HSF plan may offer cover for consultants visits.

Snowyb

Thanks for the info, Snowyb.

Actually, I've been reading this forum a little more and think it might be better to go for a plan which gives access to at least some private hospitals. We're in Cork, literally a 15 minute walk from the Mater Private and in the last couple of years my health, well, getting a little worse....a couple of things going on. I'm early 40's. My younger better half is in much better condition, zero issues more or less. Though we both kill ourselves slowly, we'll quit, eventually, hopefully. Laya, haven't checked out the others yet, have a plan, Advantage 500 Explore, that might work for us. The difference is €150 or so each, probably worth it, I guess. Or is it? Sweet jebus, think I'll look at it all more tomorrow.

If we sign up on a basic plan, the waiting period for pre-existing conditions is 2 years isn't it? Or is it 5 years? If we then upgrade within the initial 12 months, is it my imagination or did I read that you have to wait for 2 years for everything at the higher level and you'll only get the initial lower cover you initially signed up for even though you are paying the higher premium? Or am I cracking up? But if I am, they offer psychiatric cover so that's a plus :eek:

Back