Health Insurance First Time Health Insurance

emmlou

Hi all,

I am a 34 year old female with no health issues. My partner has an old Aviva plan (Level 1 hospital) which is up for renewal and he has been stressing to me the importance of getting cover. It is something I have looked into before but the sheer number of plans has always left me confused.

A private room etc is not important to me but if for example I needed a scan or became concerned about a mole and needed it removed etc, I would like to have cover in those instances to avoid long waiting lists as a public patient. I would also like to have cover for peace of mind in case I develop a condition in the future and the older I get, the more likely that will be.

I have returned to postgraduate education so cannot afford a very expensive plan but at the same time I don't want to get a plan just for the sake of it and will pay whatever is necessary to have decent benefits.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Hi emmlou,

Welcome to AAM. First of all, the plan 'Level 1 Hospital' which your partner has at the moment, is not good value for money and would need to
be changed at renewal date. It really only fully covers public hospitals. 65% cover for private hospitals is practically useless, the shortfall
could run into thousands - which defeats the whole point of having health insurance. Plans with public hospital cover only, start at 510 euro.
[broken link removed]

The following 4 suggestions cover the 3 levels of hospital cover available; public,private and hi-tech hospital cover, and are suitable for both of you
to consider;

1. Laya Flex 250 Explore; price 949pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover included, 250 excess only payable on admission for a stay in a private
or hi-tech hospital, (no excess applies to any public hospital), day case excess 100 per visit.

2. Laya Simply Connect plan; price 1101pa. public, private and hi-tech hospital cover included, 150 excess in private/hi-tech hospitals, day case
excess 50 per visit. Good day to day cover on this plan, max refund 300 per year.

3. Glohealth Better Plan Select Cash; price 1210pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover included, excess 75 in private/hi-tech hospitals,
day case 75 excess. Good day to day cover on this plan.

4. Glohealth Zest Plan; price 890pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover included(no Blackrock Clinic) excess 300 per admission to private/hi-tech hospitals, day case excess 75 per visit.

[broken link removed]

The following 2 plans cover 2 levels of hospital cover; public, private + Beacon hi-tech hospital and are also worth considering for both of you;

1. Glohealth Kick Off Plus plan; price 825pa; public, private and Beacon hi-tech hospital, excess 300 per private/hi-tech admission, day case
excess 75 per visit.

2. Irish Life Health 'Select More Plan'; price 950pa; public, private(including private room) and Beacon hi-tech hospital, excess 150 per private/hi-tech admission, day case excess 75 per visit.

[broken link removed]

I'm not sure what budget you have in mind, cheaper priced plans than those shown above would have a higher excess for private/hi-tech admissions. Hope this selection makes choosing a bit more straight forward.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Back