First Time Buyer? Already have property abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caleb

I know that I don't qualify as a first time buyer with respect to stamp duty, because I already own a property abroad. But do I qualify for first time buyer's mortgage relief, because it is my first property in Ireland?

I know that I don't qualify as a first time buyer with respect to stamp duty, because I already own a property abroad. But do I qualify for first time buyer's mortgage relief, because it is my first property in Ireland?

no , if you bought a house anywhere you are not a ftb....

I'm open to correction but as FTB mortgage interest relief runs for 7 years, I think it depends on when you bought your first property.

no , if you bought a house anywhere you are not a ftb....

does this also apply if you were living abroad and bought?
returning to Ireland from UK, property sold and hope to get a mortgage in about a yr.
Would I be a first time buyer?

I'm not so sure about this - I think the TRS issue is very different from the stamp duty question, and if you've never before claimed the relief here, you might possibly qualify. Unless other posters have detail from TRS rules / tax briefings that they can point you to, I recommend calling Revenue's TRS section to ask - they'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Caleb,

Let me know what you find out as I am about to move to Galway from the UK and have had a property in the UK but would like to take advantage of the FTB benefits if I can.

I returned from the UK in 2002 - I owned a property which I sold in the UK, my husband had never owned one, we didn't qualify for FTB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back