First car, help!

Lornie,
Wondering how you are getting on with your search.
If you are still looking, I've a 2000 Yaris currently for sale, and of the cars I've owned it has been reliability personified!
If you are interested in finding out about it, drop me a PM.

have a 99 corsa 2 years so far i have had to replace :
Idle stepper motor (250 euro) car died engine manage light on
60 euro to diagnose fault with computer , another 60 to clear it
when new idle stepper motor went.
Steering rack went (100 second hand) 100 to fit, (300 new)
oil pressure switch
battery (52)
Alternator (50 second hand + 50 labour), 140 + vat new.

Sister has a 98 corsa same crack with engine manage light
O2 sensor went 200 euro + 2 * 60 to diagnose and clear fault.

Also Renault have poor reliablility record stick with japanese.

So best advice stay away from corsas will never buy one again.

Bought a Yaris (new) in 1999 - still have it and intend to keep for many years to come. Never a moments hassle - economical (1.0 litre) - virtually maintenance free - has passed NCT twice.........

You wont go wrong............

BM

I'm only selling on the Yaris, as we've decided to move from 2 cars to 1, since we are now both commuting on public transport.
The Yaris has been excellent, I actually bought it after owning a Fiesta - in the 2 years of owning the fiesta it was in the garage about 10 time (and it was only 18 months old when bought).
The Yaris on the other hand gets it annual check up and the only 'problem' in 4 years of ownership has been a puncture. When I bought it the only criteria I had was that it works: key goes in, car starts! And its never let me down on that very basic requirement.
You will pay slightly more for a Yaris than an equivalant sized car (micra, fiesta, etc), but if you keep it for a few years you find that it saves you on maintenance costs.
The only other piece of advise I would give is that you get a good level of reliability buying Japanese.
Mell61
PS: Take out membership to an auto rescue service, be it AA or RAC, you may never need them but it a nice security.

so just to show that women dont listen!!!
i got a 2000 renault clio for 4 and half grand, it has 48 thou miles on it.one bald tyre no nct, got a service for 180euro, before i bring it in for nct, and the horn doesnt work after paying mechanic. also the electric window control on drivers door, for the passenger window doesnt work, or am i being picky?? should i go back to mechanic and get him to fix the horn for free.

Back