Finian McGrath - the pro smoking TD?

Did you ask the neighbours to not smokein the garden? Not being smart Complainer, just wondering if you did, and what reaction you got.
No, I haven't. I respect their rights to their garden.
I want to know what freak is smoking outside Complainers daughters window!
Next door neighbours on both sides smoking in their back garden is distinctly noticeable in back bedrooms, when windows are open.

No, I haven't. I respect their rights to their garden.

Next door neighbours on both sides smoking in their back garden is distinctly noticeable in back bedrooms, when windows are open.

My next door neighbour is nearly always out smoking on his balcony when I'm sitting out on mine. They're only separated by a thin sheet of wood so he might as well be on my balcony. I know he's legally entitled to do it, but its bloody inconsiderate, especially if we're eating out there. It's not just one cigarette either, he'll light up, I'll go inside, come back out after about ten minutes, sit there for another few minutes, and then he'll light up again. :mad:

As the Original Poster can i steer the topic back :).

How does he (Finian McGrath) square his concerns about health (and in particular lung disease) with his pro smoking stance?

The prosmoking TD Finian McGrath clearly states on the record of the Dail his preferred "solution" involving the reintroducion of smoking in bars.

I am wondering how he can square his commendable work on behalf lung disease sufferers and his high profile support for smoking?

I noticed in an earlier post on this thread that the some of the debate centred on "for your own good" or "for my own good". I’m thinking that the reasoning being that non smokers think that they are entitled to lecture people on their health and smokers are of the opinion that it is their body and what they do to it is their business and no one else’s.
Fair enough, I can see both sides.

However, as a non smoker I would like to put another angle on it. No one smokes in isolation. And I don’t mean that they can go off to an isolated room and smoke to their hearts content and affect no one else.
Sooner or later a smoker is going to suffer health issues because of their smoking. The suffering may be small, loss of breath, cough etc or it will be large... COPD, cancer.

The smoker may feel, well I smoked and I will suffer the consequences but unfortunately it doesn’t work like that. There are also consequences for the smokers’ family. Having to watch a family member long slow decent into ill health and ultimately death is a horrifying thing to watch and experience. Especially if it is happening to someone you love and cherish.
Lung cancer is a slow, lingering and horrible death and while a family member is suffering with it the rest of the family are suffering with them, watching, helping and trying to cope while the person slowly expires.

It starts slowly; cough, unable to run for the bus, loss of breath at the slightest exertion. Then going to doctors for diagnosis and being told that they have COPD or cancer. Having to be with that family member after they have had a lung removed and having them wonder if they will survive.
When the bad news comes and they are told the cancer has spread you have to be there with them and travelling with them to the hospice while assuring them that it is only for a rest while secretly both of you know that it isn’t the case.

So if you think that by smoking you are only hurting yourself, think again. It impacts those around you and those who love you even if they never have to inhale or smell the smoke you breathe in.

@ The Banker. There's nothing to disagree with in your post as to the affects & effects of smoking. But people do all sorts of things bad for them and others.

Alcoholism, drugs, sex and food addictions, all of these have consequences for others indirectly, as well as themselves.The point is tho, that people have a right to do certain things as adults, stupid or otherwise, and it's wrong to rob them of that choice and responsibility. Freedom (at some level) is a neccessary part of humanity. Even if it's freedom to do an ostensibily wrong thing.

@ The Banker. There's nothing to disagree with in your post as to the affects & effects of smoking. But people do all sorts of things bad for them and others.

Alcoholism, drugs, sex and food addictions, all of these have consequences for others indirectly, as well as themselves.The point is tho, that people have a right to do certain things as adults, stupid or otherwise, and it's wrong to rob them of that choice and responsibility. Freedom (at some level) is a neccessary part of humanity. Even if it's freedom to do an ostensibily wrong thing.

Big +1 to that.

I agree with you horusd.

I heard pro-smoking TD Finian McGrath on Newstalk during the week dissing Senator Professor John Crown for his proposal to ban smoking in Leinster House.

I’m pleasantly surprised and delighted that the Oireachtas committee has shown some common sense to all the staff in the Dáil and the minority of Oireachtas members. I would now ask for Professor Crown to cop on and show a bit more respect to the 30 per cent of the Irish population who smoke.
Lung cancer is a slow, lingering and horrible death and while a family member is suffering with it the rest of the family are suffering with them, watching, helping and trying to cope while the person slowly expires.

I just find it very difficult to see how this TD can square his commendable work on behalf of sufferers of lung disease and his virulent pro smoking stance.

I have never "pulled" a cigarette let alone smoked one. I never objected to anybody smoking either. When Michéal Martin introduced the ban-on-smoking in pubs, hospitals, etc (prisons excepted, strangely enough!) I felt for the older people having to go onto the street for a cigarette whether it was raining or not.

The no smoking ban in pubs is about as effective as a glass hammer. Every pub, hotel, sheebeen, has an "outside" area in which smokers can congregate and drink. These areas have become so popular that non-smokers are using them as much as the smokers. To be a little coarse, I understand a gent has a better chance of meeting a lady in a smoking area.

But, the vitriolic campaign against smokers has backfired. Still, we have a huge cigarette smoking population. The ciggies have got so expensive (Le Grande Deterrent) that smokers have largely turned to buying illegal cigarettes or legally importing cigarettes from abroad. The taxpayer now gets little or no return from smoking.sp

There's something wrong somewhere. Perhaps there's an argument for reducing the price of a packet of fags?

For the Record:- Sorry to those non smokers (even on balconies) who have to endure some of the smoke from next door.

Last edited:
http://shar.es/1WNxh0 according to the herald he spoke against the measure in an ill informed rant. I don't know how he voted.

It is really strange considering the great work he does on behalf of sufferers of lung diseases such as CF and ILF (idiopathic lung fibrosis).

Back