Financial Regulator calls for personal finance to be taught in schools

Makes sense - i learnt the hard way about how to manage your money.....really didnt have the first notion. Have to say AAM taught me more than a few tricks.

Funny, I mentioned this to an accountant friend of mine (she being good with money, me learning slowly) and she replied "did you now to business org in school?" Actually I didn't. But, if I had, would I have been better off?

pernickety said:
Funny, I mentioned this to an accountant friend of mine (she being good with money, me learning slowly) and she replied "did you now to business org in school?" Actually I didn't. But, if I had, would I have been better off?

I did - learned nothing about personal financial management. Perhaps people who do accounting (wasn't offered as a subject in my school) might learn some things. Or perhaps the syllabus has changed (I did leaving in 1992) and bus.org. now includes a practical section?

The only time that we ever learned anything approximating real world useful personal finance stuff was in the old "Civics" classes that we did sporadically.

I vaguely remember doing personal budgeting exercise as well as learning the differences between various types of loans, banks etc as part of inter cert commerce.

I guess its a tough topic to teach because most students (even today in money obsessed ireland!) find it hard to relate to.....if you have no money how can you manage it????

Personally, when i was in school, the topic of personal finance had about as much relevance to me as nuclear physics!! Any money i happened to have flew through my fingers on clothes, cds, discos......important stuff like that

I guess its a tough topic to teach because most students (even today in money obsessed ireland!) find it hard to relate to.....if you have no money how can you manage it????

I agree with this. i remember in school learnig about mortgage calculations and turning off completely as at the time was not relevent. Did my LC in 1988 (so old!!!) and so maybe the youth of today are more clued in than I was. More young people today have access to more money through better paid part-time jobs,weekly allowances etc.. so have more disposable income on which to be taught. Also when my brother was in college he was offered credit cards,loans etc... more readily than I. (survived on parents generosity plus saturday job paying 12 pounds a day!)

Back