Fee for surrendering timeshare?

D

ddashb

In order to save money, I decided to get rid of my timeshare. They're not so easy to sell or even donate. I found a company called Timeshare Relief that will take it off my hands for a fee. It's about the amount of two years in fees. My wife and I are debating if we are saving money going that route over waiting out for a sale that may never happen, paying fees all the while.

Everytime someone makes a post about TR, it does not take long before their president, David MacMillan, post a personal reply :rolleyes:

"Hello everyone, my name is David MacMillan and I am the founder and President of Timeshare Relief Inc. Our customers love our service. Of course there are those timeshare owners who love their timeshares and use them all he time. They are not our customers. And that is great. There is 1 type of person that does not like our company. And that person is employeed by the timeshare industry. These are the guys that post nasty remarks about Timeshare Relief. These are also the guys that make money, alot of money when some poor uninformed individual signs a contract that obligates them to pay maintanence fees until they die, whether they use it or not. The timeshare salesmen will tell you that you can sell it, rent it out, you can give it away. That may have been true 20 years ago. But not today. According to the Attorney General, only 3.3% of those who tired to sell their timeshares over the last 20 years were able to. And this has gotten so much worse because of all the internet rental programs that allow you to rent timeshares for less than what maintanence fees cost. I have a taped interview called "Confessions of a Timeshare Salesman" made with a real timeshare salesman who made millions selling timeshares to people that never read the contract. If you love your timeshare, keep it. If your just an angry timeshare salesman, go find something real to complain about. Timeshare Relief provides a valuable service for distressed timeshare owners who have been unable to rid themselves of something they do not want, do not use, and do not want to pay for. Hope everyone has a great day, David MacMillan proud owner and President of Timeshare Relief Inc."

If you take the time to go on forums, it becomes quickly clear his business is not very clean.

"Last night I spent an hour at the Milpitas Embassy Suites with a company called Timeshare Relief, LLC. They claimed that you must get rid of the timeshare you are unhappy with or your heirs will be stuck with the m/f and taxes after you pass on.
They showed some quick “proof” from Florida Supreme Court decisions and Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection web site.
“Timeshare Ownership… Not the slice of paradise you thought it would be?” Well this group had the answer for all your problems. Just pay them 7 times the Maintenance Fees & Taxes and they will try to put your worthless time share to use.
When I became quite upset, the company sleepers that had been potential customers participating as such, these sleepers suddenly woke-up and invited me to leave.
The sleepers and the company “officials” said they would call security, I said go ahead. After I left the room, all the potential customers met with me in the lobby and I began to impart tug truths. The sleepers and co. officials joined in vain attempt to deter me from my mission. I let them have the truth and called them to task, calling them the same names that they said the timeshare developers were. I told them that they were worse than them because they gave nothing but grief to the timeshare owners. Not relief, grief."

"WOW! What a great scam. I can start up a company, get people to give me seven years of MF's AND the deed to their TS. Then I can turn around and rent it out for whatever I can get for the next seven years and pocket the profit. At the end of seven years I can put it up as a no reserve auction of E-Bay, dump it for next to nothing and pocket that cash as a profit as well.
No investment, all profit. Sounds like a great business to me. I only wish I was smart enough and heartless enough to do it. I'm afraid I couldn't sleep at night if I did that to people".

It's a different pitch but the same general scam as this one from the TUG Advice section.
http://www.tug2.net/advice/TS_scams.htm

Back