Faulty part in washing machine

biddy123

Hi, I bought a reconditioned washing machine about 18 mths ago, guaranteed for a year. One month after the guarantee was out, it stopped working. The fella I bought it off came out, said it was the ecu and needed a new one, costing 60 euro. Since he put this part in, it has stopped numerous times, After several calls and promising to come out and then not turning up,he eventually came out and said the part must be faulty, and would get a new one. But now is refusing to answer our calls. I know its only 60 euro but it is the principle of it. What comeback have we got or can you report this to somewhere?

You are entitled to expect that a replacement part does not itself fail in a reasonable time frame. Usually 6 months would be considered reasonable.

If they are no longer taking your calls, the Small Claims Court is your best bet. Keep all the paperwork/ receipts and any correspondence records you have.

Suggest you put it down to experience, my machine sat down today and checking online they seem inexpensive, if you can go that route, the machine was out of warranty, you have no idea how long it is in use or usage over it's life it might be best to put this behind you and get it replacement, new or used again.

Suggest you put it down to experience, my machine sat down today and checking online they seem inexpensive, if you can go that route, the machine was out of warranty, you have no idea how long it is in use or usage over it's life it might be best to put this behind you and get it replacement, new or used again.

The OP is entitled to a warranty period on the repair, generally 6 months. Small Claims is a cheap procedure and even the threat or submission of the paperwork may see a positive outcome.

It costs 25 euro to take it to the small claims court, and as the part was only 60, it hardly seems worth it. But at the same time, it seems wrong to let him away with it, as I think he knew the part was faulty from the beginning

Back