Father's birthday - round of golf where?

Zapatista

Hi All,

My dad's birthday is coming up & I'm completely stumped. I was thinking of buying him a round of golf at a decent (but not exorbitantly priced !) club, somewhere in Leinster preferably. Could anyone offer a suggestion as to what might be a good course to play? I was thinking of Carton House but I don't play myself so I wouldn't know either way.

All advice appreciated as always.

Zapa.

Re: Present for Fathers Birthday

Carton house has two courses, the O'Mear and the Monty, the Monty is a monster and is where the open was played, if there is any type of breeze at all it wont suit a high handicapper (12+). The O'Meara might be a better option although I haven't played it (heard reports). If he is a member on an inland course then a links course might be a option. Portmarnock springs to mind, as does Royal Dublin (although I don't like it much. And my own haunt , The Island

Thanks for the reply Stobear,

He lives in Malahide so he has played Portmarnock a few times. He's a member of Malahide, or at least he used to be. That's why I was thinking of somewhere a little further afield. Somewhere he hasn't played that's not to far to travel. I've heard about the Monty alright. Maybe the O'Meara might be better. After all I want him to enjoy it. I had a quick look at the Carton House website. No sign of any difference in price between the two. I assume he could decide himself on the day which course to play.

Zapa.

I won (blush) vouchers for a game of golf there, brought 3 friends out and when booking it I just nominated which course we wanted, the day and time. Give Emma Fox a call (0)1 - 5052000, email: [email protected]

Thanks again Stobear.

CCOVICH - Looks good. Seems ideal actually. If I buy him a round he'll probably never play it anyway so this way he could use it whenever he does play any of those courses !

Zapa.

Zapatista said:
Thanks again Stobear.

CCOVICH - Looks good. Seems ideal actually. If I buy him a round he'll probably never play it anyway so this way he could use it whenever he does play any of those courses !

Zapa.

I think you might actually get a discount if you buy that now, cos we are 4 months into the year (April to April)

May also be available through pigsback.com, and I think that the GUI website has a code for a discount.

CCOVICH said:
I think you might actually get a discount if you buy that now, cos we are 4 months into the year (April to April)

May also be available through pigsback.com, and I think that the GUI website has a code for a discount.

Thanks again CCOVICH. I got the passport. And you were right - I got a discount - cost me €99 -valid till the end of March.

Zapa.

Hi Zapista. One course that my husband and his friends havementioned favourably is Rathsallagh. I played it a few times and love it. When I and hubbie played in an Open in Waterford one of our opposition remarked on playing Rathsallagh - what a beautiful course it is.

Zapatista said:
Thanks again CCOVICH. I got the passport. And you were right - I got a discount - cost me €99 -valid till the end of March.

Zapa.

You're very welcome. Glad to be of assistance:).

Back