Health Insurance Fair Deal tax relief and reassessment

Shoegirl

Hi looking for some advice please

My dad recently went into a nursing home and my mum passed away suddenly, they had a very simple will which transferred house and assets to each other in the event of bereavement. I understand he will have to be reassessed as he is now a single man, i have a couple of qs

1. I will have to help him pay some of the weekly fee as my parents opted not to put a charge on their house - I am happy to pay this charge for him and i understand I can claim tax relief on this - currently the fees are paid out of his bank account which I will in future top up - would we better to pay the fees out of our account, how would I prove to revenue I am paying the balance between 80% of his income and the 7-5% levy on assets, would a bank lodgement slip be enough proof?

2. can funeral expenses be factored in and be deducted from his savings when they look at his reassessment? bearing in mind this clause- the assessment will also look at assets that you have deprived yourself of since applying for State support or in the 5 years before the application.

thanks in advance

2. can funeral expenses be factored in and be deducted from his savings when they look at his reassessment? bearing in mind this clause- the assessment will also look at assets that you have deprived yourself of since applying for State support or in the 5 years before the application.

Yes, any reasonable expenses is allowed, if that was money gifted to a family member it would be different.

You have to notify the HSE of your Mam’s death as it is a material change in circumstances. If they reassess your Dad, enclose a copy of the invoice from the undertaker.

Back