Health Insurance Fair deal. A little confused.

palmas78

Hello. My mother passed away recently. I made contact with the Fair deal office today. I wanted to know how much I would need to pay for 15% value of her house. They said there was no loan taking out off the house. It was nearly 4 years back so I can remember. I paid the nursing home extras over the years.
I am not sure what no loans taking out means. Do we own money or did the state pay and my mother give the pension over?
I live abroad and want to get things sorted before I go. Thanks for any advice.

Firstly, my condolences to you.

I don't understand the terminology that they seem to have used!

If you were given this over the telephone I would not rely on it as meaning that nothing is due. My inclination would be to put the same query to them in writing. If they confirm the position to be that nothing is owed well and good. I would make the enquiry in a very simple way i.e. don't go looking for trouble !

I think it is important to get this straightened out for purposes of probate, tax and even selling the property if that is intended. Hence the importance of getting the position officially clarified in writing.

Side bar point - if you have made payments of some elements of your mother's care check to see if you are owed any tax refund.

Hi. My condolences on your loss. It is quite possible that no loan was created in respect of your mother's home and that no monies are due by the estate. I would write to the Fair Deal office advising them of her passing, with death certificate, and see if Revenue then contact the executor/administrator.

Hi. My condolences on your loss. It is quite possible that no loan was created in respect of your mother's home and that no monies are due by the estate. I would write to the Fair Deal office advising them of her passing, with death certificate, and see if Revenue then contact the executor/administrator.
Sounds like good advice. Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, my condolences to you.

I don't understand the terminology that they seem to have used!

If you were given this over the telephone I would not rely on it as meaning that nothing is due. My inclination would be to put the same query to them in writing. If they confirm the position to be that nothing is owed well and good. I would make the enquiry in a very simple way i.e. don't go looking for trouble !

I think it is important to get this straightened out for purposes of probate, tax and even selling the property if that is intended. Hence the importance of getting the position officially clarified in writing.

Side bar point - if you have made payments of some elements of your mother's care check to see if you are owed any tax refund.
Ok thanks for that. I will ask them as suggested. Many thanks

Back