Expired NCT Disc

trojan

I am confused re the possible penalties. The common one is said to be 60 fixed fine and 3 penalty points whereas i see in other reports that thousand of cars are being seized by Garda for this offence. When do they seize cars?

If everything else is in order, they're very, very unlikely to seize a car for an out of date NCT. If there's no tax and insurance also, then no NCT will be included in the list of charges a car is seized under.

From the Garda website

A member of An Garda Síochána may seize a vehicle being used in a public place where –

•A member of An Garda Síochána is of the opinion that the vehicle is being used in contravention of Section 56 Road Traffic Act 1961 i.e. The person driving the vehicle is not insured to drive the concerned vehicle.
•The person driving the vehicle refuses or fails to produce there and then a driving licence then having effect and licensing him/her to drive the vehicle, when production of such a licence is demanded of him/her by a member of An Garda Síochána under Section 40(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1961 and the member is of the opinion that the person is by reason of his/her age ineligible to hold a driving licence, licensing him/her to drive the vehicle.
•There is no road tax in force for a period of 2 months or greater.

Reality is that Gardaí are unlikely to seize a car for non-production of a licence. However if you have no NCT and they are satisfied that the car is not roadworthy, they might seize it. Likewise, I wonder if you have no NCT are you potentially invalidating your insurance.

Unlikely as you must have the car insured to pass the NCT.

Technically you would have issues as its implied the car is in a roadworthy condition, and NCT is considered that benchmark.

To give an easier example, you would find it extremely hard to get a quote from a new insurer with no NCT on your car.

Unlikely as you must have the car insured to pass the NCT.
- you can get the NCT done with no insurance - you do need to put your insurance details in when you book in your car, but there is no check to ensure its valid.

- you can get the NCT done with no insurance - you do need to put your insurance details in when you book in your car, but there is no check to ensure its valid.

Just the question then how you'd get to the NCT place without insurance. Probably by getting a tow?

You can buy insurance without the NCT being in place methinks. But the insurance company might not pay out a claim if you don't have a valid NCT cert.

No, nothing in my insurance about that (AXA via AIB as broker). Very extreme measure to revoke a policy while someone is driving around. As I understand it, they give notice of policy cancellation within 10 days or so even if the premium DDs aren't paid.

AXA will look for evidence of the NCT when taking out a policy if the car is older than 15 years.

Back