executor selling house

Its very easy to say, oh yes the executor is correct, until you're in this position and its a nightmare!
Executors abuse their power. Why is is set up this way in law with executors and beneficiaries. I'm trying to understand.

I'm an executor Nicole. Trust me the nightmare is mine. One sibling is not speaking to me. When they find out I'm going to deduct money for a headstone there will be more friction. They have all been informed of every step I'm taking. I'll have receipts. And we did the skip the lot of us together. And we also did the who gets what stuff. That went amicable enough. Though at one stage one sibling arrived to ask about the 'rug', which was now at the bottom of a very full skip. I suggested we empty it, but they let it go thank goodness. I'd previously told all siblings to go in and take whatever they wanted, once we'd each got something sentimental and valuable but that sibling didn't get around to it, and I never thought a bloody dirty rug of 10 years might be wanted. I think parent's dying make people unhinged for a while. At one stage we were out in the garden with dishes and glasss and books strewn all over the garden. I ended up with an unexpected very lovely dining room delph set. One sibling decided to look up how much it was worht and it's quite valuable (in the sense of being more than 100 IEP)

Don't envy you Bronte. Dh was executor. He submitted the invoice for the grave to be engraved and cemented and it was fine. No comeback from his money grabbing sibling. While it doesn't necessarily come under funeral expense, any of your siblings would want a kick up the backside if they make an issue of it!

Don't envy you Bronte. Dh was executor. He submitted the invoice for the grave to be engraved and cemented and it was fine. No comeback from his money grabbing sibling. While it doesn't necessarily come under funeral expense, any of your siblings would want a kick up the backside if they make an issue of it!

The estate is tiny, every bit eats into it for people who are depending on a couple of grand coming their way, it's more about the shock of the costs, it all adds up. And I've no legal costs (other than conveyancing). They won't object to the headstone, but I hadn't realised how expensive they are !

Back