Exchanging a New Zealand driver's license for an Irish driver's licence

June Hunter

I've had a New Zealand driver's licence for over ten years, acquired (on the back of a South African driver's licence) when I went to live there from South Africa. I applied to exchange my New Zealand driver's licence for an Irish one in October 2015 (one year after coming back to live in Ireland) and, six months later, I am still waiting. I've been told that, even though I have had a NZ licence for over ten years and the NZ authorities checked all was in order before granting me a NZ licence, and have advised the Irish authorities that there is no reason why my licence can't be exchanged, the Irish authorities have to get confirmation from South Africa. An absolute waste of time, tax-payers money and staff, as far as I'm concerned, as the New Zealand authorities would have done all that work before granting me an exchange in their country. Is there anyone who can suggest what I can do to hurry this process along?

Was the NZ licence current? Why did the SA licence come into play? Did you bring it up?

NZ is one of the recognised countries for exchange of licences here, so you shoulnd't have needed to provide details of the SA licence providing your NZ one was valid.

If the delay is as they say in getting a response from South Africa, can you contact the authorities there to see what the hold up is?

Last edited:
Went out with a girl years ago that went to OZ on an irish provisional, they gave her a full autralian license for the provisional then when she came home traed that for a full irish license.

Can't see why a NZ license would be any problem, even the fact they drive on the correct side of the road is a good thing.

Was the NZ licence current? Why did the SA licence come into play? Did you bring it up?

NZ is one of the recognised countries for exchange of licences here, so you shoulnd't have needed to provide details of the SA licence providing your NZ one was valid.

If the delay is as they say in getting a response from South Africa, can you contact the authorities there to see what the hold up is?

Yes the NZ licence was current. It was more current than the SA one. No, I didn't bring up the SA licence. The NZ authorities advised the Irish authorities that my NZ licence had been awarded on the back of my SA licence. The Irish authorities won't provide me with any details of who they are in touch with in SA. They say it's their 'procedure' and they don't discuss it with anyone. I'm really at my wits end with this.

That'd frustrating. Try contact the SA authorities directly, they might be able to confirm that at least they have received the request.

Hi June, I am wondering do you manage to exchange your New Zealand driving licence to Irish driving licence at the end? I have the same situation like you. Can you please advice.

I'm not familiar with the driving licence issue but you should be able to get access to your file by either filing a data access request or a Freedom of Information request. The Irish licencing authority website should outline how to do this and, if not, then look at the Data Protection Commissioner's website or the the FOI people. There are various exclusions under both acts and it is up to the public body to work out if they apply (and not you). I'd suggest filing both an FOI and data access request. The typical response time under law is 20 days or a month.

There is probably a review procedure you can also use in the licensing authority to look at your case. Failing that you can lodge a compliant with the Ombundsman.

All, or any of these, can put a bit of heat under someone to move it along.

Back