Exaggerating Salary In Interview

M

maxo

Had an interview with another company recently and was asked what my current salary was....I exaggerated it by about 15% and told them I was also due my annual pay review.

I have just been told by my boss (who knows I am looking for a job elsewhere and is ok about it...seriously), that if I do exaggerate my salary in these interviews and one of these companies rings him to confirm my existing salary he has no choice but to tell them what I'm actually on....i.e much lower than what I mentioned in my interview.....

Firstly what are the chances of one of these companies ringing him to confirm my existing salary and secondly is there anything I can do to sort this situation out???

Any advice would be appreciated......cheers

maxo said:
Had an interview with another company recently and was asked what my current salary was....I exaggerated it by about 15% and told them I was also due my annual pay review.

I have just been told by my boss (who knows I am looking for a job elsewhere and is ok about it...seriously), that if I do exaggerate my salary in these interviews and one of these companies rings him to confirm my existing salary he has no choice but to tell them what I'm actually on....i.e much lower than what I mentioned in my interview.....

Firstly what are the chances of one of these companies ringing him to confirm my existing salary and secondly is there anything I can do to sort this situation out???

Any advice would be appreciated......cheers

i don't think he had the right to give that information without your permission....

plus you can swop your p45 at the tax office for anther form (don't remember the name) that doesn't show your total pay to date...

Thanks Jhegarty...I'll check that out with the tax office....don't suppose you know where I can find out if he is allowed or not to release my pay details to my future employer???

Your P45 will contain details of how to get it altered and reissued without details of your previous salary if you so choose.

maxo said:
Thanks Jhegarty...I'll check that out with the tax office....don't suppose you know where I can find out if he is allowed or not to release my pay details to my future employer???
See www.dataprivacy.ie - But why lie? Why not just tell them what you are expecting for the new role?

RainyDay said:
Why not just tell them what you are expecting for the new role?

Well maxo has already lied about this according to the first post so I don't think that there's much to be gained, and potentially a lot to be lost, by coming clean now if that's what you mean?

I would doubt very much that they would ring your current employer without your permission. It is just not standard practise.

Best of luck in the process ! I hope you get something out of it ...

Back