Ex trying to sell jointly owned house without me

RedLippy

I own a house with my ex but moved out after we broke up. He stayed there. Himself and his wife lived there for a short time but recently I learned that he has been renting out the house and making significant profit each month without my knowledge. I want to sell the house as I put way more money into it initially than he did and I really need the money. I stopped paying the mortgage shortly after I moved out. I tried numerous times over the years to get my name removed or get his partner to take over the mortgage but he and the bank (now collections agency) wouldn't agree to it. Now he is trying to sell the house without my input or knowledge. My solicitor seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. Can anyone advise me please? My head is absolutely spinning.

If you have been engaging with the mortgage provider and your ex-partner all along, I cannot see how he could sell the house without your signature.

When you say your solicitor is currently not engaging with you, why do you think that is? Are his fees fully paid up?

No, we were never married or engaged. Both of our names are on the deeds and mortgage. The mortgage is with a collections agency now. I haven't engaged with them for a good few years as they were not helpful at all. My solicitor is really busy and has other interests which I believe is his focus at the moment. His fees are paid up, yes. Apparently there is a letter I can send my ex to initiate proceedings. I am thinking of applying for legal aid but I am unsure if they will cover this matter. I don't know where to go from here.

You may need to engage another solicitor for this if your current one can't or won't help you. Solicitors are just tradesmen at the end of the day, if they are not doing what you need them to do, get rid of them and replace them.

How much is the house worth? And, how much is the outstanding balance on the mortgage?

Back