Ex refusing to acknowledge responsibilities on mortgage

sparkle82

Hi all,

I posted yesterday but please ignore. As of today I'm out of a job. Thing is my mortgage is in my ex's name and mine. I can no longer afford to pay this off by myself as I've been doing for the past couple of years. (Currently in the process getting mortgage approval. long story!!! No hope now anyway.) I rang him today to tell him that if I can't pay, the council will come after him, but he thinks I can ring them and explain that I have been paying the mortgage and that we are in the process of removing his name from the deeds and that he'll be ok ie they won't come after him. Is he right?

If the title is in both your names and the mortgage is in both your names and now you cannot afford a mortgage in your own right no financial institution will allow the transfer. And they will come after whoever has money. So your ex had better help to sort out the mortgage because despite the fact you've being paying it up to now he is still liable. Ringing the council with your story will not do a bit of good.

I got my mortgage from the council. Anyway I rang them and explained the situation and they confirmed that he is equally responsible for the mortgage (which I tried to tell him the other day) and that it doesn't matter where the money has been coming from for the past 3 years. They also advised me to get a solicitor if he refuses to pay up.

Back