EU delays releasing damning report on Ireland

Should the EC have released the report before the election?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathepac

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...asing-damning-report-on-ireland-34491135.html

"The publication of a damning report on Ireland's public services was delayed until after polls closed last night.

Officials in the European Commission decided to hold back the lengthy and often critical report so as not to influence voters.
"

I've been unable to locate the shortish, 85 pp report. Did anyone else have any luck?

It could be argued that Angela should have accelerated the availability of the report to the electorate to the day Inda announced the election date.

Were we lacking key information that could have influenced voting decisions? I think we were and believe Angela was protecting her FG/Labour flunkeys as best she could.

Last edited:
Had a read of the headlines in the executive summary and it looked largely positive, saying that the austerity reforms helped get Ireland back onto the front foot.

The debt issue is and will continue to be a major lag on this country. In the US, hand back your keys, house is repossessed and move on. In Ireland, it drags on for years, causing huge hardship and stress and a lot of money. We need to sort it out and that also means people giving up homes that they cannot afford.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Had a read of the headlines in the executive summary and it looked largely positive, saying that the austerity reforms helped get Ireland back onto the front foot.

The debt issue is and will continue to be a major lag on this country. In the US, hand back your keys, house is repossessed and move on. In Ireland, it drags on for years, causing huge hardship and stress and a lot of money. We need to sort it out and that also means people giving up homes that they cannot afford.

Had a quick read of the article in the paper and the exec summary and I would have to agree with you that the report was mostly positive and the article was written with an emphases on criticism largely brushing over the positives and focusing on the areas that we already know have to be improved.

I like the idea of walking away from your debt like in the US but I also feel the borrower has to responsible for their actions. its a problem that I feel both sides are not realistic about the banks are not willing to concede on mortgages and the borrowers wont give up the property that they cant afford. I know is a very simplistic view but if both sides don't adopt a bit of realism we will never get out of this mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back