Estate agents?

waltzer

Is it illegal on AAM to talk about individual estate agents? I have got valuations done by three different ones for an apartment I will be putting up for sale after the election is over and the stamp duty hypothesising has died down. I'm keen to get an idea for the experience people have had with the estate agents I have spoken to.

Dont know the answer to you question as I have nothing to do with the site. However why dont you tell us what each valuer said in writing, its fact so what can be the harm in that. Then ask the question you want?

Well, I had three valuations carried out by three different estate agents. Valuations ranged from €400 - €430k which I thought was a big range. My own sense is that the highest one was probably telling me what she thought I wanted to hear so that I would take her on to sell it. Does this happen?
They all told me that I should expect to have a sale completed within about 3 months, start to finish which seems at odds with what I'm reading of other people's experiences on this website.
The property I am selling is an apartment in Dublin, really nice area and lovely apartment.
Any thoughts?

Hi,

I have had my property on market since early march. It is in rural location but not far from towns etc - It is a once off house, turnkey condition - have had 2 viewings in the 8 to 10 weeks it has been on the market. Other people who have had their houses for sale are finding same. But still I feel that auctioneers are dying to get the sign up and then you mighn't see them or ages - I am a bit disheartened - don't think it is the price. Perhaps property is moving in Dublin and the best of luck, hope it goes really well for you.

Go with an estate agent that sells alot of property in your area as they know the market in that area and what people are prepared to pay.

I think other posters have had the experience of an E/A stating that they will get one price. A couple of weeks later the EA advises the seller to reduce the price in order to get a sale. The EA couldn't care less as they already have the business.

As far as I remember one poster in particular had an estimated achievable price put on their poperty by an EA. When they were signing contracts with the EA, a lower price was put in, they were told that this was nothing to worry about. When the EA couldn't reach the higher price that they had quoted in the first place, they wouldn't allow the seller to change agents without paying their fee as they had achieved an offer at the price that was in the written contract with the EA.

Watch out - sharks about!

Murt

30k might seem like a large range but assuming an average somewhere around 415k that means that the three valuations are less that +/-5% of an average, even the top value is less than 10% more than lowest value. The range is not as excessive as at first glance. I agree with GM88 - try and find out if they have sold similar properties in the area it will let you gauge how informed by experience their valuation is. As for whether or not they are telling you what you want to hear - it is always a possibility, you can only go with your gut on that. Their first job is to sell a service to you, their second is to sell your property - do you feel they can do that?

Thanks for advice all. The estate agents are very familiar with property in my area, in fact they are currently agents for a few similar properties in the same development which they have been showing over the last few weeks. I think I'll go ahead with the lowest one, on the basis that they may be the most realistic and not touting for business now to reduce later.
Thanks!

Back