Estate Agents Fees- whats is normal?

Lan

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the average fees are for an EA?
I have been quoted 1% incl advertising from a local EA however one of the bigger co's has quoted me 1.5% plus advertising of €300 payable upfront.
Is this normal?

Any advice appreciated.

I think between 0.75 and 1% is normal, i know i wouldnt pay anymore than 1% plus advertising fees ( id expect about €350).

Hi

I paid 0.85% last May, but the market is much slower now and E.A's have probably increased their fees.

Have our house up for sale at the moment and EA charging 0.8% (incl advertising fees, etc). We got another EA up for quote and they were charging 1% + advertising + admin of up to 500 euro.
You just have to shop around.

Houses are not selling. One or two of the larger EA's have let staff go because there are no fees coming in.

We are putting up our house for sale in the next week and have 4 EA's coming to value on Monday.

A friend told me to drive around the area and see who has properties for sale or better still, properties sale agreed. If they have sale agreed properties, chances are that there were underbidders and you might get a quick sale.

We did this and contacted (by email) 6 EA's. Only 4 came back to us so they have the pleasure now of valuing our house for free!

One EA quoted us 1% set fee + approx €600 for advertising.

Another quoted us 1% and said it wasn't fixed and that when the negotiator came to the house that we should negotiate the best fee.

The other 2 EA's wouldn't quote on the phone and said that when we are getting our valuation that we discuss fees then.

A friend of mine has just sold her house and got 0.7% incl advertising which is amazing!

The best thing I can say is to get 3 or 4 EA's out to your house to value it. Make sure that the valuation is free and without obligation.

Ask them what their fee is, what it includes, where the property will be advertised, have they many houses for sale in the area, have they many houses sale agreed in the area, do they have a waiting list of people looking for properties in the area etc etc and then negotiate the best figure you can get.

You shouldn't pay more than 1%. Its the age of the internet so long gone are the days of paying through the nose for an EA because they are well known nationally and will have more contact at their office from potential buyers.

Hope this helps in some way.

Good Luck!!

Back