Estate Agent Question

R

Roy is Right

I am about to put my Dublin apt. on the market with a local reputable agent. I have secured a very fair deal/fee and I a happy with the person involved.
However, the same agent has 3 other properties for sale in the same complex. One of which is the apt. next door and virtually identical to mine.
He has sold 2 similar properties in the last month so has proven he can shift them.

Should I be concerned about the agent having multiple properties on offer and where his priorities lie?
I am considering using a different agent in order to stand out from the other properties.

I wonder if by going with another agent you run the risk of one undercutting the other on the sale price to shift the apt on their books.

potentially leaving it with the current agent if you are that happy with him would stop that. It might mean you have to leave it on the market longer but that's not a bad thing if you can get the highest possible market price for it.

From my own experience when bying my PPM we put a bid in with the agent on a house we liked which was above the asking price (for which there was a bid in for). The owner rejected both bids as she wanted more (despite havnig an asking price less that what we offered). We backed out as we weren't prepared to be dealt with like that. The estate agent apologised and said that her refusal to sell at that price came as a surprise to him. He rang us back 2 days later when he got a house in the same estate onto his books . We saw it later that day , put a bid in and it was accepted. In short , the agent knew we liked the area and were ready to buy so in this case the same (reputable) agent worked out well having multiple houses in the same area under his wing.

Not sure if that helps give you peace of mind or not! Think I'd stay with the same agent if you have that good feel about him. Remember you don't have to accept whatever price the first buyer that comes to him with offers.

Back