ESB blew up my fridge and lights

ned official

Hi folks, our estate had a ESB shortage last night for about 3 or 4 hours. every house on estate had their bulbs blown because of this no real issue as they are about 10 quid a pop. problem is out fridge blew up as well hoping it's just a fuse issue, if not have we any case against the ESB. fridge cost nearly 1000 quid over a year ago. ESB worker said last night they don't usually own responsibly and that house insurance will cover, don't really want to go down this route for obvious reasons

I've heard before that ESB Networks will accept liability if the surge was as a result of work they were carrying out, whereas they won't cover those caused by equipment failure which is most likely the case here it it happened at night.

Surely the fridge is still under warranty as its failed within a year of going into service.

Lucky enough the big retailer replaced it with new fridge free of charge didn't mention the esb failure. they didn't even look at it rang them up and said they would deliver and install new one.

Latest update: esb have taken liability and paying for all damages and new appliances etc. they will send a cheque out 2 weeks after I send in receipts. have topped up on the 8 most expensive led bulbs, oven is being fixed with receipts going to esb. my question is a laptop is not properyly charging for last year or so it is a old dell and on the way out for while. I wonder could I chance claiming for a new laptop tell them it was charging while they blew everything up. I just have to run it by esb rep before purchasing anything

Latest update: esb have taken liability and paying for all damages and new appliances etc. they will send a cheque out 2 weeks after I send in receipts. have topped up on the 8 most expensive led bulbs, oven is being fixed with receipts going to esb. my question is a laptop is not properyly charging for last year or so it is a old dell and on the way out for while. I wonder could I chance claiming for a new laptop tell them it was charging while they blew everything up. I just have to run it by esb rep before purchasing anything

Sure - go for it - why not claim for whiplash whilst you're at it....

Back