ESB bill before house is ours...

sparrow

We haven't moved into our new home yet but today we dropped in to see a bill addressed to us from electricity the builders have obviously been using. IE - lighting, kettle, sanders etc etc

The bill is not huge but I am interested in who actually pays for these units?

This is a tough one. If you have signed up with the ESB then technically it's your bill. I would put it to your builder and if you get no joy then ask your solicitor.

Thanks Colin. We never actually contacted the ESB to set up the account so can only assume the builders did.

That's a good one. Maybe I'm wrong but as far as i remember I had to sign a form for the ESB to bill me. Was the bill posted to your 'new' house or your current address?

It was posted to the new address. We were inspecting snags and found it on the fireplace. House was delayed for many many months due to Council / Builder error but we assumed this would be builders cost.

If it were me i would make the builder pay for it as I am not living in the house. Until you move in and are actually 'using' the electricity, then why should you pay for it?

is the builder doing work for you? our builders have run up fairly substantial elecrticity bills in the past few months but a large part of this cost was because they left heaters on in every room over Christmas to dry the plaster. I had no problem paying the bill as they are working very hard. if the bill is not material then pay it yourself as it is much more important to retain a good relationship with your builder.

does the ESB not have a role in all this? I would be annoyed if I was gettign billed on the assumption that I owned the house ...if no contract for the supply has been signed, how come you are getting billed? hoiw often does this happen around the country? while I agree that it's better to pay it as the use of the electricity is benefitting you, I would contatc the ESB to see how they got details, and what legal status they have to bill you. Are you sure you didn't sign for the connection? It just sounds weird adn strikes of sharp practice if you didn't!

Back