Entitlement to see will?

Winnie1

My father passed away and the relationship with my step mother is not an easy one. My mother died 25 years ago. Am I entitled to see his will if I contact his solicitor directly. I don't want to approach my step mother and I don't believe she will leave me anything, it will all go to her children

I'm thinking his will won't be probated and all was probably left to her so when would I get to see my fathers will? Thanks

I don’t think you have much choice in that instance, the only way to publicly see it is after probate. Otherwise it is up to the executor to share it, which they seem to do regularly with public bodies and companies but rarely relations who may or may not be mentioned in the will. Even if you ask the solicitor, they may want permission of the executor to progress. It is very unsatisfactory for a relative or close contact who may think they are mentioned but will never know.

So he may never know even after his step mother dies? Will both not become public record at some stage?

Only if it goes through probate will it become a public record. If there is a property which was jointly owned it will pass by survivorship. Likewise bank accounts.

I'm thinking his will won't be probated and all was probably left to her so when would I get to see my fathers will? Thanks
Maybe I’m missing something but his estate doesn’t officially become hers until such time as probate is granted and his wishes as regards inheritance are discharged. In the meantime, it’s open to challenge, however dubious that challenge may be.

She could continue as she is of course but when the time comes to eventually consider her own wishes, she should have established title by that time. If not, she’s potentially leaving a mess behind although that wouldn’t necessarily be a unique situation.

Open to correction though.

Back