Ensuite mould

phoenix53

Hi, we have an ensuite bathroom that has a window and had an ordinary vent in the wall. We updated the ensuite and the tiler tiled over the vent as he said it would look better. We still had the window that is beside the vent. I thought no more of it. However, the ceiling of that room is now showing signs of mould and the ceiling paint is peeling.

I'm thinking of having a tile removed and the vent reinstalled but I don't understand the science behind it. Would the vent have made that much of a difference when we have the window open most of the time?

Should I be looking at another solution?

I should say there was no problem with mould before the vent was removed.

Thank you.

Vent needed. I’d put in an electric extractor through it if possible on a timer so it stays on after for at least 5 minutes. You will be forever dealing with mould otherwise. Ventilation is key.

Sounds like you had a fan with (behind) the vent and it no longer works to push the condensation out quickly

Would have thought that the window open would be sufficient provided its left open for long enough certainly not just 5 mins.

You should be able to clean the mould away with something like Domestos bleach and be careful to wear gloves and perhaps eye protection when doing so. Clothes can get destroyed quite easily too so wear old stuff.

You could then try painting the area with anti-mould paint.

Open the window when you shower and leave open for 5 mins afterwards. Simples.
Hi. Yes, that is what we have been doing. We leave it open for hours on end but for some reason is is not sufficient. Another difference is that the room has gone from half tiled to fully tiled. Not sure if that would make a difference.
Sounds like you had a fan with (behind) the vent and it no longer works to push the condensation out quickly
No, no fan, just a hole to the outside.

Would have thought that the window open would be sufficient provided its left open for long enough certainly not just 5 mins.

You should be able to clean the mould away with something like Domestos bleach and be careful to wear gloves and perhaps eye protection when doing so. Clothes can get destroyed quite easily too so wear old stuff.

You could then try painting the area with anti-mould paint.
Thanks. We have had a go at cleaning it away and are now just trying to understand the problem. Definitely anti-mould paint next time.

We've tried everything. When we tiled over the vent we put a fan in the ceiling into the attic. The velux is open all day. We've painted the ceiling twice with zinsser paint. Right now it's a flaky mess again. It's going on years at this point and we are now looking at getting pvc for the ceiling.

I'm thinking of having a tile removed and the vent reinstalled but I don't understand the science behind it. Would the vent have made that much of a difference when we have the window open most of the time?
Yes. It would have allowed humid air to escape. Now it’s trapped and condenses on surfaces.

There are a few things you can try in the meantime:
1) open window for five minutes after a shower
2) wipe down all surfaces after a shower with a squeegee
3) Run a dehumidifier

+1 for squeegeeing down all surfaces, takes 30 seconds

Our previous home, had an ensuite with no windows, started to see a some tiny spots of mold directly over the shower. There was a fan which we'd leave run for some time after shower (maybe 30 minutes, I don't recall). Started squeegeeing down after each shower and never came back. It's something we continue to this day despite not being a problem in our current home - reduces cleaning/scrubbing as an added bonus.

Our main (and only) bathroom has no external window - we've never had a mould issue anywhere in the bathroom. Tiled all round, PVC ceiling. Squeegee along with fan is key, and squeegee the floor of the shower area too, ours is slate so easy to do. Squeegee also has benefit of keeping shower glass super clean! After reno-ing a couple of years ago, a cheap inline fan was put in...that has since gone kaput so we've put in a much stronger one, just in case...there's no condensation at all after showering now.

the standard fan installed by bathroom fitters is usually whatever is the cheapest at the wholesalers and they're not powerful enough to dry out a really wet bathroom. A more powerful fan will help; but also bear in mind that the fan has to pull in dryer air from somewhere - if you have the door & window closed and there's no vent over the door, the fan won't work well. Also it needs to run for a period after you've finished showering.

A more powerful fan will help; but also bear in mind that the fan has to pull in dryer air from somewhere - if you have the door & window closed and there's no vent over the door, the fan won't work well.
A fan is good but absolutely no substitute for wiping down surfaces immediately after shower and opening a window for five minutes.

I’d mainly recommend a fan for a rental property where you can’t rely on a tenant to ventilate.

I read an article recently that said certain plants are very good for soaking up moisture and are ideal for small bathrooms. Apologies but I can't find a link to it

My 2c worth. The above is the only way to go. firstly because it it what was changed,(which therefore caused the issue).

The science is pretty straightforwards. You need air moving to get the steam/water vapour out of the bathroom. Having a vent and a window created that. If you only have a window open (and most likely the bathroom door closed) then there is most likely no air movement, i.e. breeze.

If it is difficult to install an electric extractor in the vent, then that's not the end of the world (although it would be better, and allow you to leave the window closed if it's really cold, as you are creating air movement). By reinstating the vent/hole in the wall, you're getting back to the way it was, which was dealing with the condensation.

Back