Engineer Didn't Pass House...

Andy_and_lou

So disappointed, we have put a deposit on the house, the problem apparently is that there is an attic conversion, which was advertised as storage but the problem is that there is a stairs going up to it and it has velux windows (which I'm sure there is planning for) Despite that the rest of the house is fine except there is velux window in the kitchen also that the engineer has a question mark over regarding planning. Has anyone else been in this situation and were they able to get around it in anyway?

As far as I am aware, velux windows to the rear of a property are exempt. The FAQ page from DLR Co Co website confirms this. You should ask the engineer to state in writing what issues he has and then give the local planning authority a call. The FAQ page from DLR Co Co website confirms this. Is the property a listed building - that may be a different story.

If there is planning for teh velux windows and it is not used as bedroom space, then does your engineer actually have an issue with the upstairs ( I know there are fire regulation issues with dormers where the upstairs are used as bedrooms)? Again as other poster said a velux can be removed with little expense if the one in the kitchen is at issue- or it can be made bigger if it is too small ( fire regs again). So what exactly is the issue?

For permanent job Put tiles in holes. For temp job put plywood or anything else that watertights the attic in the holes. When you get the cert from architect reinstate the velux windows.
Be careful with attic, unless the roof was specifically designed to have a room upstairs the timber used will (may) not be strong enough

Back