Employment Law Question: Change of work location?

measuretwice

I am in my present role 6 years, and it has always been based from home. Two years ago the company I work for was bought by a much larger company, and I signed a new contract. I felt under pressure to sign the contract, that I had to do it to keep my job, but I have learned from Citizens Information since that I could have resisted it without losing my job.

My new contract states that I would be based in the city where I live, and that I may be required to work at any office.

Citizen's information told me that if the location of where I work were not in the contract, I could argue that 'due to custom and practice, my working from home has effectively become part of my contract'.

I have reason to believe I am going to be asked to start commuting to work, and due to responsibilities I have separate to my employment, I am not sure that will be possible.

Do I have any kind of case to resist if I am asked to start commuting? Or is it clear, I signed the contract, even if I felt pressurised, and they can ask me to work anywhere and I just have to do it or quit my job?

It would seem to me you are going to risk losing your job if you don't do what they ask. Can you not discuss this with the HR department ? Rather than going down the route of trying to fight them. Because I can only see that ending in tears.

I agree with Bronte; talk to them first. If they want to keep you then they will do what they can to accommodate you. Is there a good reason why they want you to work from an office or is it just some general policy?

Back