employment contract

S

stuck in a rut

It states in my employment contract that I must give 3 months notice. How binding is this?
If we mutally agree I presume I can walk, however if they stick their heels in.....? what options have I?

If thats what your contract says then thats what u got to do.

If u just "walk" u have breached the contract and can take u for same if they wish, - if u leave on bad terms it has to be an option for them!

Personally, I've never heard of an employer taking an action against an employee for not working out a notice period. I'm not saying it has never happened, mind you.

Having said that, it is not a good idea to leave any employer on bad terms. Ireland is just too small a world to burn your bridges. I was on 3 months notice with one employer years ago - I got out by mutual agreement on 6 weeks notice, having closed off on all work in progress. Like most things, it is probably a matter of negotiation.

notice

I had a friend in a similar situation. If it says three months, it means three months. You may be able to talk around that, but basicly that's the contract you signed.

contracts

but who signs such a contract for so long a period of notice...?

Re: contracts

Does this mean that Your employer also hase to provide You with 3 months notice if they terminate your'e employment - if so then that is not such a bad position to be in afterall.

In addition if You have some holidays due, this can be part of Your notice period ie if You 'lfortunately' have 4 wks holidays due to You then You should be in a position serve Your 3 month notice - work 2 & take the remainder as holidays.

ninsaga

3 mths!!

3mths seems fairly extreme. One thing for sure, it makes it difficult to find a new jobs as not many employers would be willing to wait 2-3 months for an employee to start.

On the other end of the conveyor belt I have heard of an employer(semi-state) threatening to sue an employee because they did not take up employment with them after signing a contract with them. Needless to say that the employer never went through with it.

Back