Employer wants to pocket my tax refund!

Re: Tax equalisation treatment !

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> employee would expect their employer to compensate them if they were to lose money as a result of going abroad, they have no right to expect to pocket any tax advantage if the reverse happens.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Hi Kathy - I disagree - Even ignoring the tax issue, employees have every right to expect that their employer will compensate them for spending extended periods abroad.

Re: Tax equalisation treatment !

It is generally accepted practice that an employer compensates employees for all out-of-pocket expenses incurred by the employee in carrying out the duties of their employment. In many cases, the employee will actually (and legitimately) gain some sort of financial benefit by following whatever procedures are in place for recouping such expenses. Motor expenses (paid at Civil Service rates) is a good example.

Any employer that would propose "equalising" the benefit of legitimate motor expenses paid to employees would be ridiculed and mocked from a height. The situation with the FED is even more clear-cut. If the Minister for Finance wants to introduce a FED-equivalent tax break for employers, let him do so. In the meantime, it is simply wrong for employers to appropriate a tax benefit designed for the benefit of their staff. It is outrageous if this is done "on pain of dismissal"

Tommy
www.mcgibney.com

Employer keeping tax refund

I am the General Manager of a small US multnational in Ireland.
We very regularly send employees to US on training stints of anything from 4 to 8 weeks (could be that an individual dose up to 4 seperate stints in a year possibly 32 weeks in US altogether.
We simply continue to pay salary in Ireland in the normal manner as if he/she were here and pay all expenses incurred in USA on a vouched basis (this is done by the parent company in the US) and billed back to the Irish operation.

Are we doing anything illegal here from a tax point of view.

Back