Emmigrating to United States

S

skippy

Hi
I am thinking about emmigrating to the United States (possibly Texas) in the next year or two.
Anyone have any advice/information/websites they can share that deal with emmigrating to the U.S.?

Thanks

have you considered Australia Skip?

Regards,

Ikeano;)

Hi Keano

Thanks for the suggestion.

No real interest in going to Australia, as would probably be hard to find work (work in call centre) have been to US a few times and really enjoyed it so girlfriend and I are strongly thinking about making the move.

Any ideas?

Best of luck with the move Skippy, nail on the head Stobear!!

Possibly, but should we feel old or young Polaris? not quite sure

Regards,

Ikeano

skippy said:
Hi
I am thinking about emmigrating to the United States (possibly Texas) in the next year or two.
Anyone have any advice/information/websites they can share that deal with emmigrating to the U.S.?

Thanks

Hi Skippy, I worked and traveled for many years in the states in various places.NYC, North east, Dallas and the Mid-West.
In general, taxes in the US are high and starting salaries for non-professionals are very low. so..
1. Pick a city you want to go to and find out everything you can about it on the internet, travel books and real estate agencies for rent prices
2. Have 2 to 3 months job free living and expenses money including downpayment for an apt
3. Dont move into the city centre staright away, its the biggest mistake new movers make, live in the suburbs until you get to know the city inside out and then move when your working and can properly afford it.
4. Im sure you are aware of the summers in Texas..I have experienced +110 degrees F in August.

PS. Im of course assuming you have worked out the legalities of moving to the US.

Best of luck
RPmac

Hi RPmac

Thanks for the reply, the advice is much appreciated. I'm currently looking into the legal situation but doesn't look like it will be a problem.

Can you give me more information regarding what it was like in Dallas, and also when and why did you leave Dallas?

Thanks

skippy said:
Hi RPmac

Thanks for the reply, the advice is much appreciated. I'm currently looking into the legal situation but doesn't look like it will be a problem.

Can you give me more information regarding what it was like in Dallas, and also when and why did you leave Dallas?

Thanks

Well everyone's experience of places can be different so dont take mine too seriously but I Was only in Dallas for a few months in the mid/late nineties so cant tell you a great deal except i didnt care for it much, not much of a buzz to the place and the people i came across in general werent the nicest but as i say that was just my experience. A friend of mine lived in Heuston and said it was much more happening down there, which is a well known fact anyway.
RPmac

Be sure to check around San Antonio & Austin, it is called the "Hill Country", really beautiful, hills, lakes, rivers and very afordable compared to some areas of the US especially both coasts. Have some friends who moved to near Fredricksburg and love it there, so did I when I visited. There is a large call center near Dallas, I believe for Sprint, a girlfriend worked there for awhile. Best of luck to you on your move. I live in Northern CA but like to check this site for great information as I will be moving to your beautiful country in the next 2 months.

Back