VHI Elderly relative in Nursing Home

Thirsty

An elderly relative is now in full-time nursing home, supported by HSE Fair Deal.

VHI is due for renewal shortly - is there any benefit to keeping it up?

I'm guessing if any medical / emergency occurs they are transferred to A&E?

Thirsty,

The main reason for keeping it up, is for any minor procedures/surgeries that may occur.
For example, cataract surgery etc. Another deciding factor is the age and overall health of the person.
If the person has any ongoing health issues that may need hospital attention at some stage.
For the over 80s, the tendancy of the medical profession is not to do major surgery if possible.
Unless there is no other option, they avoid it altogether.

What plan are they on at the moment?
It might be an option to change to a better priced plan, that suits their present situation.
They would be brought to A+E if any medical emergency occurs.
Once they have a medical card, they would be covered for the A+E charge and any nights spent in a public hospital.
The nightly cost if you don't have a medical card or health insurance, is 80 euro per night in a public hospital.
The max charge per year is 80 x 10 nights = 800, regardless of how long they spend in hospital.

Regards, Snowyb

I cant imagine given the age and current health that any elective surgery would be done.

I don't think they have a medical card, but I'll check that.

I think they said VHI premium was €2k a year so by the sounds of it they'd be better off without it.

If the relative does need medical care either from a doctor or the hospital how will that be paid for?

For the over 80s, the tendancy of the medical profession is not to do major surgery if possible.
Unless there is no other option, they avoid it altogether.

Ageism in action.

And I say that in the context of a relative having to kick up a fuss recently to get surgery for his cancer, which was initially turned down based on his age alone, without any regard to his actual health.

Back