Elderly parents and the future financial plans

Yes have realised that now when I gave it more thought. Am not trying to get around any regulations. Think the fair deal scheme is very good and would be more than happy to pay what was necessary. Just feel that none of us are ready to consider a home yet. A move to a bungalow would hopefully allow us to go on longer with me calling in most days to support them. Am hoping that if necessary in the future we could apply for the scheme and they can take the relevant percentage from the new house. We should be able to get well over 300k for the current house and have seen bungalows for 240k. This would give them savings which could fund some home care hours if needed.

OK. Am moving this on. Rang an estate agent to enquire about a bungalow for sale - just to get an idea of the market and how much above asking they are currently going for. Naturally they enquired about selling the existing house and would like the business. Any benefits/drawbacks with using the same estate agent for a sale and purchase? I imagine if they know how much you got for your sale then it might not help for a purchase? Sorry if these are silly questions!

Hi Ballymag. My two cents worth. I have been following the thread but had nothing to add as the FD scheme has been well enough spelled out there. It seem there is an emotional factor here as your parents may not really be ready for nursing home care. Regarding the FD scheme, it is not simply a case of automatically getting approved. On application, the applicant will be assessed as to the need to nursing home care. If the applicant is mobile, not (too) senile, there may be no approval for the scheme. I think the idea of downsizing is good as long as they spend the money raised on a new property as any cash savings over €36/72k will be assessed at 7.5% p.a. Before moving to a new HSE area, it might be worth checking out local Homecare services and PHN advice as it can vary from area to area. Best wishes to you in dealing with this.

Didn't realise that they might not be eligible for fair deal. Am used to seeing all their limitations so never thought that they might be too fit/healthy to qualify . They would take that as a compliment!! Even more reason to consider a move nearer to me as care would fall more on me especially if home help hours are not sufficient. Only problem is I talked to a local agent today and in this market it would require them to be sold before buying another house to compete with the cash buyers.

OK. So an update. Am in the process of putting their house up for sale. Have agreed 1% fee with the estate agent. Want to engage a solicitor - anyone give me a rough estimate of solicitors fees in Dublin for a sale and a purchase. In addition, there's a strong possibility that they will buy my brother in laws house - can the same solicitor act for both and would this be cheaper and easier if its allowed?

OK. So an update. Am in the process of putting their house up for sale. Have agreed 1% fee with the estate agent. Want to engage a solicitor - anyone give me a rough estimate of solicitors fees in Dublin for a sale and a purchase. In addition, there's a strong possibility that they will buy my brother in laws house - can the same solicitor act for both and would this be cheaper and easier if its allowed?

You may get better advice on these questions in the Askaboutlaw forum on AAM.

Here are some previous threads from Google

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q...rs+fees+in+Dublin+for+a+sale+and+a+purchase&*

https://www.google.ie/?gws_rd=ssl#q...this+be+cheaper+and+easier+if+its+allowed?+&*

With regard to Carers Benefit, you can still work up to 15 hrs per week so long as your income after tax & deductions is under €332.50 per week.

You can also get up to two years leave from your employer. To qualify for Carers Benefit you need to have a certain amount of PRSI contributions

Thanks for that folks. I've been considering the carers benefit and plan on talking to work to see what's possible. If I can I will try to get carers benefit even for the short term to get them moved and settled and support them. I will be looking to transfer their home help hours and this might take to time to arrange and kick in so I'll need to be there for them.

I'm in a not disimilar situation. Only child looking after disabled mother 2.5hours away. I looked at the social welfare carers benefit but I work too many hours & live too far away - check the conditions. Carers leave from my employment has to be taken in lumps of a year, you cant dip in & out - so do check work conditions or could they allow you to work from home on some days? To get more home help hours you generally have to show need, support of the local doctor can be very useful. Or if one goes into hospital refuse to have them released into your care until you have more hours. Check availability of every daycare centre in the area. Definately get an emergency bell. Research the fair deal scheme & also look at the nursing homes - what catchment area are they in.

Moving my mother is not an option as her property is worth very little & I live in a rented flat. Also she is happy where she is and there is a good community spirit & she goes to 2 days daycare there.

What I've done is employ a carer/au pair for elderly myself. This is working for all parties but its not easy, its take a lot of management but it means my mother has company and somebody is on the spot.

What I will say is that you have to consider yourself and your family as well as your parents, otherwise, this might sound terrible but it is true, they will drain you of money, energy & time with even realising. Caring for others is a hard slog & to do so you need to look after yourself to ensure you can keep going.

I wish you all the best in making your decisions.

Thanks for the replies. House went on the market yesterday. Am finding it nervewracking as its such a big thing and need to hold my nerve. I know it will ultimately be better for us all but still feeling the effects of the huge responsibility that's on me. Just need to keep the end goal in sight - they will be living around the corner from me if all goes well and that's a benefit for all of us. It will also help my case if I need to apply for the carer's benefit. Am meeting someone next week who can advise me of my work options. I'm a civil servant and they are usually good about this sort of thing but have never had any sort of extended leave so its new to me.

Back