eir is a Jersey-based company

arbitron

I've been reading quite a bit about eir's unbelievable antics:

Judge labels Eir a ‘disgrace’ after court heard customer service manuals warned staff not to obey law

I learned today that eircom relocated to Jersey, Channel Islands, back in 2014.

Its company number there is 116389 and its office address is 22 Grenville Street, St. Helier, JE4 8PX, Jersey.

The modest building seems to house a large number of companies, so looks like a brass plate affair.

Hilariously they list their massive HQ near Heuston Station as a "branch".

I know this sort of stuff is rife but it still seems wild to me.

Is it all for tax purposes?

Yes- indeed- Eir is a very profit orientated company. Their customers count very little and are replaceable.

I've been reading quite a bit about eir's unbelievable antics:
You should listen to Joe Duffy on it. He's hilarious. The fine they got in the District Court will be more than made up for from the amount of customers that will drive them insane with complaints and lost business. Nobody in Ireland would move to Eir after the radio show. And rightly so. Well done Joe Duffy who is way more a customer champion then Com Reg.

You should listen to Joe Duffy on it. He's hilarious. The fine they got in the District Court will be more than made up for from the amount of customers that will drive them insane with complaints and lost business. Nobody in Ireland would move to Eir after the radio show. And rightly so. Well done Joe Duffy who is way more a customer champion then Com Reg.
I have heard Joe Duffy called many things but hilarious is certainly not a word I would use to describe him ...
The big wigs who took over the company so many times only took all they could out of it and sold it on and on and on..
They above all have a lot to answer for.. ...and that is not an excuse mind you..

If you approach Liveline from a comedy viewpoint it's often comedy gold. And I don't mean the horrendous Funny Fridays. I have learnt an amazing amount about EIR listening back in my car this week alone. And got oddles of entertainment. There is a serious point to what Joe does, and he gets things done. So to summarisse on EIR:

- They exist as a result of a state sell off of the underlying infrastructure and companies taking all profits from same. As you outlined.
- The guy in charge is called Oliver
- Eir were taken to court, finally, by Com Reg.
- Court found in each of the 10 individual's cases that Eir was at fault.
- They got a paltry fine as it was the District court.
- Eir then offered a measly sop of 20K to the judge for charity. If ever there was an insult that was. The dogs on the street know Eir boses were laughing when they offered that.
- After the case Oliver came on RTE and promised that Eir was the most wonderful organisation that existed on the planet. Including, ahem, a 2 minute phone reply to customers.
- Oliver unfortunately for him, said he was available to media, so Joe lampooned that mercilessly.
- Oliver/Eir tried to 'pretend' the judgment was not so bad, and that Com Reg were wrong
- That was pretty stupid, Com Reg got mad and sent out a counter, in a carefully worded letter
- To this day Eir is pretending their staff manual instructions did not instruct staff to do everything to avoid dealing with any customer complaints.
- Com Reg is toothless, only when a company is so egregious that they cannot deliberately ignore them do they take action (so thanks Joe we all know that now)
- Com Reg should not be paid by utility companies, that's a conflict of interest
- Why is their no actual consumer champion

Back