Education tax relief

Eddie Peters

Is there a tax relief for someone who is willing to pay masters university fees for a friend? He was made redundant during the downturn and returned to college and gained a primary degree. He's now not able to get full time work and can only rely on seasonal/ part-time work. Just wondering if there's a relief for a non-blood relative to help fund a Masters? Any replies appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks DB7 but I'm still a bit confused. Any idea of the cost of a masters in UCC? Is the student contribution €3000 with no tax relief? If so, roughly what do you reckon it will cost?

Last edited:
Thanks DB7 but I'm still a bit confused. Any idea of the cost of a masters in UCC? Is the student contribution €3000 with no tax relief? If so, roughly what do you reckon it will cost?

The student contribution i.e. €3,000 fee definitely does not qualify for tax relief.

For UCC this link may give you some idea of their fees: [broken link removed]

From the revenue link provided above by DB74 the rate of relief is only allowable @ 20% relief and has a maximum of €7,000.

Does the student contribution 3k not apply solely to undergraduate programs only.

I thought a masters course have just set fees and no student contribution is payable ?

The 3000/1500 deduction applies to all full time/part time third level courses irrespective of whether there is actually a student contribution or not.

Back