Eddie Hobbs & the fish farmer....

Ah Grizzly - did you want him to go out and buy a computer and printer for a sign?? if he had to have thought of it he probably would have:D

the one comment i had (apart from the obvious 170k+debt holey moley:eek: )
was that it must have been love for sure holding that relationship together because i think if my hubbie was a guy who racked up so much debt to work 2 months of the year and i was working an operator to tide him & his "business" over, having nothing to spend even though i earned it - well i reckon i would have been off or else beaten reality into him, and it would not have taken 6 years!
DH was watching with me and he was in full agreement.

What struck me was the 'I paid for this' and 'he paid for that' statements. They had been married for some considerable time - when we got married, our salaries went into a joint account and everything was paid from this pot.

Do married couples these days have separate accounts? How easy is this to manage? Who pays for what? Can't imagine it myself.

I don't work, but have access to all accounts etc. A friend of mine gets 'an allowance' from her husband and if she wants to buy anything over and above that allowance, she has to ask him and justify what it is and why she needs it. Can't imagine living like that either, am I alone in thinking this way?

delgirl said:
Do married couples these days have separate accounts? How easy is this to manage? Who pays for what? Can't imagine it myself. .. A friend of mine gets 'an allowance' from her husband

IMHO no 2 couples manage their finances in the same way. My wife does not work outside the home and I lodge a fixed amount to the joint account each payday.

I missed that - sure nobody paid for anything as far i as i can get it was all going into a debt.
Yep i agree no two couples are the same but i think the "wife not working outside the home" is an endangered species and so couples who both hold down jobs would tend to keep their seperate bank accounts and split bills etc. Its how we do it but it might have been out of laziness rather than any great decision to be independant.

I felt sorry for him. He obviously loved what he was doing but it didnt make him money.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that young oneKeano doesn't drag home an Oyster Farmer as her suitor over the next few years! I nearly prefer if she got herself an ordinary young Northside decent criminal rather that a parasite like yer man!

Roy

I don't know how Eddie stopped himself from slapping the two of them. I understand that the guy had a dream about his fishing business but get real! If it's not working out and paying the bills maybe it's time for a more realistic approach!

I think they were trying a trial seperation and using the financial thing as the excuse to spilt up. ie why else would she go to DIT when she could just as well go to GMIT to do the same course and commute daily. I doubt if there would be plenty of oppurtunity for science graduates in mayo as well so i reckon she want to move back to dublin fulltime and see how different it would be.

She seems to do things on a whim, like at the start she quit her job and went off to mayo and it was indicated that she left dublin went to mayo and was married within at most 12 months. Then again on a whim she decides to take redundacy from a good paying job in west of ireland with little qualifications to go back to college, I think eddie was coming down hard on the fishfarmer and let her off very lightly maybe he knew the situation that they were/are close to brekup and if the farmer didn't get his act together then it was over.

sully said:
I think they were trying a trial seperation and using the financial thing as the excuse to spilt up. ie why else would she go to DIT when she could just as well go to GMIT to do the same course and commute daily. I doubt if there would be plenty of oppurtunity for science graduates in mayo as well so i reckon she want to move back to dublin fulltime and see how different it would be.

She seems to do things on a whim, like at the start she quit her job and went off to mayo and it was indicated that she left dublin went to mayo and was married within at most 12 months. Then again on a whim she decides to take redundacy from a good paying job in west of ireland with little qualifications to go back to college, I think eddie was coming down hard on the fishfarmer and let her off very lightly maybe he knew the situation that they were/are close to brekup and if the farmer didn't get his act together then it was over.

I wish I'd seen this one now it seems to be a really bizarre story

Ah Sully steady on,
the following points are relevant:
she is living rent free in her parents house in Dublin, in Galway if she were to commute it would probably be impossible due to the distance but would cost far more,
I don't think they were going to break up, her family were ,moving up the road to be close to them and finally there is at least one pharmachem company in the area and maybe it had made her job redundant? But i agree that she was left out of the loop a fair bit and her husband did not listen to her at all regarding money and seemed to have the "yes dear" down to a fine art. i would have laid him out after that show but love is blind!

nelly said:
she is living rent free in her parents house in Dublin, in Galway if she were to commute it would probably be impossible due to the distance but would cost far more,

10 miles from her house to GMIT in Castlebar. Don't know what courses are there though.

Back