Dublin to San Diego

Polestar

How would you do this?

Pre-clearance in Dublin, then connecting flights in the US?

Or connect in Europe (e.g. London) for a then direct flight to San Diego and do the customs clearance in San Diego?

I have heard of bad experiences either way.

Surely pre-clearance in Dublin is the way to go.

It's well run. You get through promptly most of the time. And you walk out into the airport when you arrive in America.

Some people fly via Dublin to avail of pre-clearance. This is a first for me to hear of someone flying via Europe to avoid pre-clearance.

Brendan

Plus 1 to pre-clearance in Dublin. Personally, I would fly Aer Lingus to Los Angeles. It's a direct flight. Then I would stay overnight at an airport hotel, rent a car the next day when I'm rested, and drive the 2 hours to San Diego. I would do this because I try to avoid connecting flights.

I've gone via ORD. There's a pro in the pre clearance, but on con in the longer flight time compared to a London connection. Flights were AA, and I suppose that could be considered a con.

I had a long delay on the way back in ORD, but that was due to weather.

I would fly Aerlingus to LAX and get the Train along the the Westcoast to San Diego .I went this way before you just have to make your way to the train station there is a shuttle from the Airport .
You could overnight in a hotel near LAX Airport on the way back .

I would fly United Dublin to San Diego, transiting in Newark. Transfers in the US are generally ok if you have a single PNR (ticket) and not changing airline. Plus EWR is a United hub, so if there are any aircraft issues they tend to have standby aircraft available. The United section of EWR is well laid out with a lot of facilities and is easy to pass time in, and the lounges are also very good. Because of Dublin Pre Clearance, you land in the United domestic area so your onward gate is in the same or an adjacent section, and may be just a few gates away. Only downside is the DUB-EWR leg is more often than not a narrow body aircraft which some people don't like.

I have used United and Newark a lot when flying further afield in the US and I've never had a problem. Far preferable to say an Aer Lingus/Jet Blue mix, which can get you a single PNR but the interface between the airlines and their systems is woeful. Transfers between different airlines booked with separate tickets is to be avoided, as any problems tend to be entirely yours at the end of the day.

I'd walk rather than face into LHR on the way home.

I would fly Dublin to LAX (or San Fran if I had to) with Aer Lingus. Pre-clearance in Dublin and avoid potential issues that turn up in the east coast connections (especially this time of year with storms regularly causing delays)

Back